• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 devonutopia

devonutopia

Nearly 300bhp and no vRS!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 12:12

Had this lots of times recently, which has started to get me to think perhaps I'd be better off taking my HU back to the place I bought it as faulty rather than sell it on (see sig)

Anyone know what a TOC error is. It brought this up for EVERY one of my CDs last night, and only a couple are marked enough to cause what may be a fault with the CD-R and not the HU.

Anyone with a Kenny ever had this error and what did they do about it? I don't wanna look like a muppet and take it back without a genuine reason. Still, bloody annoying this happening just as I wanted to move it on! :evil: :rolleyes:

edited to say I "could" look in my manual, but don't have it to hand ;)
Jason - Devon country bumpkin

Diesel runs through my veins. It's in my nerves. It's in my bones. That might explain the odd smell. :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ELWqeeXvAAs 275bhp dyno run video of my car. 300 is in reach!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8R5c496IG1Q Skoda Fabia 2260vk in-car acceleration video!

#2 tej

tej

280bhp 440lbft of ///Diesel power

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 12:13

TOC = Table Of Contents or something...

sounds like it cant read the list of tracks on the cd.. either due to a badly burnt disc or dirt on the laser mechanism maybe? :)

#3 devonutopia

devonutopia

Nearly 300bhp and no vRS!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 12:15

Oh, so a good clean may be in order then! It does make a funny noise when a disc's inserted... Time to get a cleaning kit then. :raz:
Jason - Devon country bumpkin

Diesel runs through my veins. It's in my nerves. It's in my bones. That might explain the odd smell. :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ELWqeeXvAAs 275bhp dyno run video of my car. 300 is in reach!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8R5c496IG1Q Skoda Fabia 2260vk in-car acceleration video!

#4 rayc

rayc

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 12:17

If you don't the disc this message will appear.
2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Executive

#5 SwitchBlade

SwitchBlade

Full of win!

• 24,108 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 13:30

I found my Kenny used to do this in my old car when it was a very cold night and come morning there was condensation in the mechanism. Solution let the car warm up a bit (listen to the radio in the mean time) and then try the cd once the condensation has gone.
If rocking the house well is a crime, let me be guilty.

#6 jutler123

jutler123

• 4 posts

Posted 29 Sep 2004 - 13:44

its is a table of contents error. what usually happens is when the cd is burnt, the finalisation process which should happen has failed or not completed properly. The head unit would read the table of contents on the disc to play the tracks, usually like you look at the contents of a book and find the page numbers. only thing is to burn another CD. have you tried it on another head unit or system???

#7 Griff_FFOC

Griff_FFOC

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 Oct 2004 - 17:41

I got my KDC-M4524 from CAD and it's just started doing what you describe above.

It only gives the error on MP3 discs, and normal audio discs play fine.

When I put in an MP3 disc it doesn't sound right (a bit like an 8 year old playstation console :lol: ) sort of squeaks a bit while trying to read the disc a few times, and then comes back with the TOC ERROR.

Funny thing is all of the MP3 discs i've tried used to play fine so it doesn't seem to suggest the physical disc.

I though about the condensation, so left it for the 15 minutes drive to work, then tried it, and I got the same error.

I'll try burning another disc and see what happens, although i'm not confident.

Anyone any other ideas?

Griff

#8 gollywog stu

gollywog stu

• 1 posts

Posted 04 Dec 2006 - 07:39

hi folks,,,i just bought the a kenwood kdc ch head unit and its doint the same thing toc error,,,it wont play any mp3 cd's or any normal cds though if you switch it on and put the normal cd in and out about 12 times it will play it,,,so i suspect its a temperature thing as well as a dodgy laser,now if this is a common fault kenwood are still liable under the sale of goods act to replace or repair this for free as goods no matter how old have to up to the job intended even if there more than 12 months old and seeing that there are several people on here with the same fault then its clear that this model of cd player is clearly faulty and should not have been sold.i shall be contacting kenwood and will see what they have to say,if i get no result then i think a trip to my local trading standards office is called for.i shall update this when i get a result and if enough people complain to kenwood they they have to do something as thats the law .cheers

#9 Nawty

Nawty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 04 Dec 2006 - 08:49

Err, thread from the dead :lol:

Welcome :) perhaps you should take 5 minutes to read the forum rules ;)

#10 Griff_FFOC

Griff_FFOC

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2006 - 01:36

Funny this thread has been resurected, as this same unit that was repaired after having the fauty laser (Oct 04), has now started to do the exact same thing.

It won't play MP3 discs, and will only play original cd's occasionaly. This is how it all started the last time, and in the end it stopped playing discs altogther. So i'm just waiting for that to happen, then I guess it's off to buy a new HU. :cry:

I hope Kenwood haven't changed the bus yet so my existing changer will still work if I do buy a new HU.

Griff

#11 0239666

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2006 - 07:34

I had an old Sony mini disc player that said TOC error when I put a disc in. But I blew in to it and gave it a calibrated shaking and it would work evetually. Try it out.

#12 Mallett's Mallet

Mallett's Mallet

Bacon Car!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,587 posts

Posted 06 Dec 2006 - 07:50

Please don't bump 2 year old threads.

Yeah, the only problem is shouting out "Jocasta!" when you're on the vinegar strokes.

XBL:Timmy Malett