advice on how to wire up 12v fans using my amp and relay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grommet

grommet

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 19:08

Hi this is most prob a simple answer, but as im not good with electric i thought id better ask. well to start im in the middle of making a false floor to hide my dls a7 amp, and to keep my amp cool im installing either 2 or 3 12v fans, iv worked out how to wire a 12v relay but is there any way i can use the 12v fan out on my amp to trigger the fan as the dls a7 has a thermo switch that will increase the speed of the fan if the amp starts getting to hot?????Posted Image

#2 nige

nige

Rest in Peace Cass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 19:25

Why not just connect the fans to the amp?
--Alpine F#1--Amps by Gordon Taylor--Dynaudio Esotar2--Silent Coat Extra--14 volt--

#3 grommet

grommet

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 20:03

i was gona but the 12v fan output only has a 0.5 amp feed and i was gona use 3 fans each 0.21 amps plus i thought as the dls a7 has a thermo switch i was thinking that might be better to use in conjunction with the relay???

#4 owens130

owens130

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 20:25

Why do you need 3 fans ? If your building a false floor then why not just have 2, one fan drawing air in and one blowing air out then you will have a constant flow of air through your false floor run from the amps fan output
Hertz hsk 165, Genesis profile 4 ultra, jl audio 12w3v2d4, Genesis profile sub

#5 nige

nige

Rest in Peace Cass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 21:06

If you connect the fan+ to term87 on the relay you're sorted, but they will be on or off, not speed controlled.
--Alpine F#1--Amps by Gordon Taylor--Dynaudio Esotar2--Silent Coat Extra--14 volt--

#6 grommet

grommet

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 21:52

Is it possible to make the fan run at variable speeds as if running from the a7 amp?

#7 nige

nige

Rest in Peace Cass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 - 22:02

Yes, with some electronic components (beyond me!) but not with a switching relay