Photo

VW Golf Mk5 with standard RCD300. What should I replace it with?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 Apr 2013 - 11:23

I have an RCD300 as standard connected to bluetooth for my mobile phone as standard. I also have control of the stereo with the steering wheel buttons.

I am thinking of replacing it with a VW RCD510 DAB radio/CD (6 CDs)/MP3 playback. Is this a good idea? Or should I buy something such as a branded stereo such as a Kenwood?

I will be replacing the front standard speakers with my old JL Audio XR650-CXi. I am not sure if I will require an amp to run these. However, first is first, choosing the right head unit.

Please help?

Reason for change:

My old VW Golf Mk3 had a Sony head unit with front Infiniti speakers with crossovers & I had made a parcel shelf with kenwood 8 x 10" 3 way speakers. I also had a 5 CD/MP3 playback shuttle in the boot. The sound was far superior then my newer 2008 Golf 1.9TDi match. It is redundant & I need to sell it.

Thanking in advance...

#2 Captain Slackbladder

Captain Slackbladder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 Apr 2013 - 20:08

from memory the RCD510 has a tweakable function that allows you to take a de-EQ'd feed to an amplifier. I think it;s a VAGCom/Dealer tweak - try searching google.

It's a good solid OEM unit the 510 - or there are now plenty of "OEM like" all in one units made by the likes of Kenwood, Pioneer etc - I think Kenwood do one that VW offer as a dealer upgrade ?

Do some searching around :)
Team Hybrids UK

#3 DAN7UK

DAN7UK

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2013 - 07:48

i seen loads of 2din hu on ebay..i was tempted to buy one(arrround 250£) but for such a budget couldnt get anything with a descent sound quality.they are built for multimedias yes but only £600+ are known as a good music players.u should aske urself are you lookjng for something dat plays dvds.movies.possibly comes with GPS or you want something dat would play music..(but u wouls need a massive upgrade in speakers.amps.sound deadening to feel the difference):))

#4 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 Apr 2013 - 17:31

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have had my eye on the Sony XAV-601BT but I could not find any reviews on the sound quality. I may go for the RCD510. From what people tell me DAB radio reception is not so good therefore I will go for FM. I am after a head unit for the sound.

#5 bigman1976

bigman1976

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 Apr 2013 - 17:52

I had a Skoda Columbus (Skoda version of the RNS510) and thought it was an excellent unit. However, I could never make it sound as I wanted so I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX-520VBT which was developed specifically for VAG cars. I've been listening to it for a week now and am really pleased. It sounds great, has built in Garmin navigation and also has bluetooth. It looks great in the car too. would set you back about £500 second hand though as the DNX-521DAB has recently been released, it should be available at a decent discount. Obviously, if you can afford circa £1k, the 521 would be an excellent choice!

#6 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 Apr 2013 - 19:27

Thanks bigman76 for your input! It can only take 1 CD but it has 4x50W output. Pardon the pun but sounds tempting!

#7 bigman1976

bigman1976

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 Apr 2013 - 21:17

If it's sound quality that you're after, the Kenwood is, in my opinion, greatly superior to the RNS510. Despite adding an Audison SR4 amp and Rainbow SLC6.2 speakers, it still left me wanting more. Changing to the Kenwood has given me a much better and more adaptable sound. And it looks great too - not that that matters!

#8 DAN7UK

DAN7UK

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 Apr 2013 - 08:58

Yea kenwood DNX are known for SQ.. i was very tempted to buy one of them...but now i have pioneer p88rs instead....and im not happy about it lol

#9 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 Apr 2013 - 09:29

It is the sound quality I am after. I will save up & keep my eyes open for a Kenwood DNX-520VBT. DAN7UK thanks for letting me know that you are not very happy with the Pioneer P88RS.

#10 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 Apr 2013 - 10:09

Chaps! I have brought a second hand Kenwood DNX-520VBT & the previous owner said that I will be very happy with it! Hopefully fit it in this afternoon! I will let you guys know how it will sound with the original VW speakers.

#11 bigman1976

bigman1976

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 Apr 2013 - 11:02

Hopefully you'll like it as much as I do. It should be a doddle to fit too. If I can do it, anyone can! Keep us posted.

#12 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 Apr 2013 - 21:30

Put it in and it works! YES! However the built in mic in my Golf does not work with the Kenwood. So another day, I will have to open it up again & put the Kenwood mic supplied in the MIC socket! First impressions, sound is far superior. When I get some time, I will tweek the sound (crossovers) equalisers because I want more bass. I do like the etc feature where I can scroll down my phone address book on the stereo to make a call! Well done Kenwood & you guys on the Forum! :)

#13 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:28

Bigman1976 I am not sure if know about this wrt Kenwood DNX-520VBT

To Activate TMC on the DNX520VBT - Download the PDF file here
http://www.kenwood-e...X520VBT_V2.pdf:

Another useful link I have not had the time to digest:
http://darkmoon.dynd...p.com/dnx520vbt

So far I have set the sound to Rock setting from default setting and it has made a big difference on the sound. Sound is no longer trebly but more balanced & good quality sound. When time permits I will adjust the speaker sizes from system & play around with crossovers to optimise the sound quality to my hearing! After all everyones hearing is as individual as their fingerprint!

PS The Kenwood mic is connected & now handsfree calls can be made! Lovely!

Edited by Sash, 05 May 2013 - 09:29.

#14 bigman1976

bigman1976

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 21:19

Thanks for the above links. I've spent lots of time playing with the eq settings and crossovers and am very happy (though not 100%) with the sound quality. I imagine that I will be tinkering for a while yet in order to find a setting which sounds great with all of my music but that's no great hardship. It's a great unit and I'm glad you're happy with it.

#15 Sash

Sash

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 Jan 2014 - 19:52

Happy NY everyone! I now want to upgrade my standard speakers. Still have the Kenwood DNX-520VBT head unit!

I am thinking of having JL Audio XR650-CX, 2-way 6.5" (85W RMS with seperate filter) at the front.

DLS 425 (2 way coaxial, 5.25"  & 20mm tweeters, 60W RMS with seperate filter) at the back.

What do you guys think?  Also, should I require an amp or will they be OK with the headunit? If amp required, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Edited by Sash, 05 Jan 2014 - 11:27.