• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 08:07

Any recommendations? I'm looking for something small and discrete to hang on my work keys that is fairly stout for opening boxes and other miscellaneous small stabby tasks. I have one of the victorinox keyring knives (58mm classic) but would prefer something with a bit stouter blade.

Gerber Ultralight LST is currently heading up my shortlist...

any other suggestions?

Edited by puggie, 15 Aug 2012 - 08:24.

Triple point

The triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (for example, gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance coexist

For example the temperature and pressure of my arse during a bad fart after a good curry!

#2 jpboost

jpboost

too many projects!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 08:49

No recommendatations other than.:
if it's 3" or longer blade, or is a fixed blade , or is a locking blade (Prob likely if you want something 'stout'), then it's illegal to carry....

My mates mum is magistrate, and talking to her on the subject, she was saying how 'inflexibile' the guidelines were with regard to this sort of thing. I was having the chat as I often have all sorts of knives/tools in my car due to all he buildng work I'm doing...& she was warning me that if I was to get stopped for any reason (with the stuff I was carrying in my car), I'd have some problems!!

Mine's all now neatly in a toolbox, in the boot, out of reach which would make things a lot easier to explain... (compared to stanley knives & screwdrivers in the door pockets etc)

Edited by jpboost, 15 Aug 2012 - 08:58.

its about terms of reference. To me a Lexus 4.0 is a small high revving engine...

#3 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 09:39

The Gerber is under 2" and it would sit on my work keys at work so not something I'd be carrying in public etc. so not a worry IMHO but I am aware about the complete lack of grey areas in the laws!

EDIT: JP the Bim is sorted btw, stupid auxiliary electric water pump seals had gone, so that bit isn't part of the water loop any more and I still have working heaters (for all the good that that is at the moment)!

Edited by puggie, 15 Aug 2012 - 09:43.

Triple point

The triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (for example, gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance coexist

For example the temperature and pressure of my arse during a bad fart after a good curry!

#4 jpboost

jpboost

too many projects!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 10:05

Coolio,

I spent a good couple of years carrying a folding stanley knife in my back pocket as it was so handy.
She told me in no uncertain terms that she'd have no option but to give me a custodial sentance if I'd been brought before her.

It's annoygin though, as a 'good' knife is really handy!..

bloody criminals spoil everything!"

edit,
good news on the bimmer

Edited by jpboost, 15 Aug 2012 - 10:05.

its about terms of reference. To me a Lexus 4.0 is a small high revving engine...

#5 Amit

Amit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 10:09

I have a swiss utility key

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0017KJ54E

Its a multitool that looks like a key.

If its something you are going to use daily, its a bit fiddly, but its a handy tool to have in emergencies.

Other than that, I have always liked the leatherman mini
Follow the progress of my 1969 camaro project here Project NightHawk - currently undergoing serious the metal work resto

#6 markwalker84

markwalker84

(.Y.)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 10:14

I have a swiss utility key

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0017KJ54E

Its a multitool that looks like a key.

If its something you are going to use daily, its a bit fiddly, but its a handy tool to have in emergencies.

Other than that, I have always liked the leatherman mini

I had one of those for a while (until I lost it..) Absolutely amazing little things!

Quite scarily though I managed to get it though airport security on more than one occasion (completely by accident I must add)...

Current build log

http://www.talkaudio...years-exciting/

Started as a £200 budget build in a 206

Pretty sure I've spent half of that just on a boot build now  :win:

#7 Amit

Amit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 10:48

Quite scarily though I managed to get it though airport security on more than one occasion (completely by accident I must add)...

Same here
Follow the progress of my 1969 camaro project here Project NightHawk - currently undergoing serious the metal work resto

#8 bretti_kivi

bretti_kivi

strange expatriate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 11:22

I have one of the mini victorinoxes with a screwdriver, LED and pen... and it's one of the best screwdrivers I own. Magic.

I also always carry 4" of Opinel. But then our rules are different!

- Bret
from a Precision Power manual:

"Before beginning, disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery prior to working on the positive (+) terminal to prevent a short to ground. This is important, unless you want to spend the rest of your life with a nickname like "Sparky," or "Smokey." Reconnect the negative terminal only after all connections have been made".

#9 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,937 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 12:41

Leatherman Squirt? http://www.leatherma...oduct/Squirt_P4

"I know that is kind of breaking the laws of Physics, which is what I expect from H.A.T" - Luke Fisher

Hybrid Audio Technologies :: Find us on Facebook

#10 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 12:58

Bit big to be honest and thats a full multitool, all I really want is a simple folding blade.
Triple point

#11 Amit

Amit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 14:23

I know what you need!

one of my fav knives in my collection

http://www.crkt.com/KISS

again its a locker so probably illegal to carry

#12 Amit

Amit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 14:29

Columbia river have a great selection of pocket knives so pick one that suits your needs :)

Amit

#13 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 15:06

Amit...

you bad man, some very nice bits and pieces there :) don't seem to ship to the UK though!
Triple point

#14 Amit

Amit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 15:34

you can get them from http://www.heinnie.com/

be warned if you like knives.. the above site could be dangerous to your wallet.

#15 Keviño

Keviño

Exemplary Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 15:43

:lol:

http://www.crkt.com/Turtle

#16 Keviño

Keviño

Exemplary Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 15:55

damn this thread! :mad:

I'm loving the look of this:
http://www.heinnie.c...t.asp?P_ID=3923

I don't even have a need for a knife, but I really want some :lol:

#17 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,765 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 16:15

be warned if you like knives.. the above site could be dangerous to your wallet.

Oh for wallet bashing one of the girls here, her bloke makes knives as a hobby, and she brought in a damascus steel katana he had made, I didn;t enquire about price but I know some of the 6" fixed blades he makes sell for 4 figures!
Triple point

#18 Step

Step

Dirty bit... fsutil dirty query C:

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 17:48

ive had a gerber shortcut for about 6 months on my keys its proved to be a very useful little bit of kit
Going active, quick way to make the back of your dash look like spaghetti

#19 ckemp21

ckemp21

It's not for me..honest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 18:44

Shit thers some cool shizzle on there!
I
must
Resist

Project Clubman 95% finished

well its on the road at least...

Nak cd400, ATC Tweets, Brax Pro Midbass, Crystal Comp 8, ARC Audio Amps

#20 Brind

Brind

iRregular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,472 posts

Posted 15 Aug 2012 - 20:42

I have this little thing. The sharp bit of the blade is a mere 40mm long. It's only a cheapy souvenir jobby but it stays sharp for a long time and I use it a lot. Similar knives can usually be found in gift shops etc. I can't recall where I picked this one up though!

Posted Image