• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BrianB

BrianB

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 Apr 2012 - 08:26

We are looking at a 2-3yr old models with around 30k, iv been reading a lot of posts on the Leon forum about the vag diesel injector problems which is quite off putting to be honest

Are these engines as problematic as the scaremongers would have you believe?

Is there anything else specific I should be looking out for?

Went to look at this which would be perfect however I'm not keen on the dsg box
http://www.jenningss...0&of=0&st=price

#2 Addie

Addie

Still f*cking ringing

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 13 Apr 2012 - 08:46

That 60 plate Seat you've linked to should be the CR170, a different engine to the earlier (pre 09) TDV170 which I have in my A4.

I can't speak for the Seat, but I have a 2007 Audi A4 TDI 170 Avant. Despite the car being out of warranty by nearly two years Audi have recalled the car and replaced all the injectors FOC (iirc upto £2k from a main dealer) and gave me a nice new A4 to run around in for the weekend. They are also going as far as to reimburse anyone who's car falls into the effected range and paid to have it repaired even if it was outside of the dealer network.

The other two things these cars are known for is the EGR valve (I've just had mine go, £330) and the DPF clogging. If your engine management light comes on get it checked straight away, I didn't and within 100 miles my DPF was 75% clogged, 80% and it's a write off. It can only be regenerated by a forced re-gen using VAGCOM and fortunately mine was salvageable.

I personally LOVE the TDI 170 engine, for me its got the torque in the right place to put a smile on your face (even more so if you go for a Leon/A4 Saloon - I have an Estate) and I rarely see less than 35MPG while trashing it. The downside is I rarely seen more than 42-45MPG when driving like a nun. Fitting cruise control has helped since when motorway cruising at 70/80 you're sat in the power band so any light feathering of the throttle and your wasting fuel.

For £500 you can get a DPF delete, remap to 210bhp and an EGR override which could potentially solve your problems and give you much better MPG.