• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heyho

heyho

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2012 - 18:32

Just some more ramblings really...

As it looks like the weather is at last going to allow me some time to finish my doors, I've been thinking about the rest of my system.

My original plan was R6As in the front doors, a sealed hammer 10 in the back, all running from a P4U. This is fine, but will hamper access to my spare, and reduce stowage space for camping trips etc.

My other option is to use a P4 instead. What I have been pondering is using the P4 for the front end, but bridge it and go subless ... OR use the P4 to power the front end and sub as per initial plan, albeit with half the power.

I guess what I'm asking is, what would be the better option - subless with more power to the front, or less power AND the sub? My previous subs have been 12" in pre-made ported boxes, and were sufficiently loud from 3&4 bridged on the P4. A sealed 10 might be a different story.

I guess the only way to find out is to try both, but I was wondering what you fellas think.

"There's a naked man, standing laughing in your dreams,

You know who it is...

But you don't like what it means."

#2 mr sideways

mr sideways

Large throbbing member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2012 - 18:46

keep the sub, i have used the P4 to run a set of focal comps and a JL 10W3 with good results.
After a while i got a P sub and used the P4 to go active which was better.
BMW e36 328i convertible- alpine 117ri - alpine H701 - DLS A5 - Genesis comps - CDT QES820 sub

BMW e46 320D compact - alpine dvi-9861 - alpine H701 - alpine cha-s624 - Genesis P4 ultra - H.A.T imagine comps - Genesis 30.01 sub

#3 gordon@ampdoctor

gordon@ampdoctor

The Amp Doctor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2012 - 19:11

P4 runs comps and a sealed 8 in SWMBO's Focus plenty loud enough for us. And it sounds quite nice too, though it does have Scan Speak mids which probably account for a fair bit of the niceness....

#4 WeirdNeville

WeirdNeville

Repenting.....

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 03 Mar 2012 - 01:01

If you're going to amp, you may as well have a sub.

And if you're going to amp, and have access to a Profile 4 ultra, you may as well use it.

Sub box for a sealed 10 is pretty diddy, and if you DO need the boot space for dump runs or trips away, you can just unhook it and roll around without the 10 for a bit. But if you're anything like me, you'll miss it when it's gone. A car stereo jsut isn't complete without a sub, IMO.

Alternatively, just buy a bigger car: a 10" Coral Sub in a BMW estate boot:
Posted Image

Oh, and I ditch the spare pretty much as soon as I start installing. What others call "wheel wells" I call "Amp stowage"

Posted Image

Edited by WeirdNeville, 03 Mar 2012 - 01:02.

Thinking About: What stuff I could fit in a Pajero.

#5 heyho

heyho

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 03 Mar 2012 - 21:24

Actually, it is in a BMW estate.

The point is, if I use the P4, it can be permanently mounted behind the NS boot trim, and the sub will fit above the space-saver spare and can be easily removed if need be.

The P4U won't fit in the same space, so would have to sit alongside the sub under the boot floor, so although I could remove it if I had to, it would leave me temporarily with no front end - not ideal on holiday!

I'm going with the P4 to start with I think, and see how it goes. I don't listen at particularly loud levels anyhow, I just like everything to be there. :)

"There's a naked man, standing laughing in your dreams,

You know who it is...

But you don't like what it means."