Pioneer tv's - talk to me!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyboy82

jonnyboy82

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2012 - 10:21

I am looking to buy a new tv circa of around £600, but I have always been big fan of pioneer tv's and I have heard the last gen of them are the best for picture quality. I know they are plasma and the latest thing is slim led, but rather than me spending a fortune on a brand new one I was looking on ebay as there are some bargains to be had.

Is it correct you need to buy seperate speakers and a tuner for these tv's?

Do any of you own one? How do you rate them and which are the best models?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

#2 Scrambled_legs

Scrambled_legs

Irregular Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 Mar 2012 - 18:45

ive had one, a pioneer 40 something inch , i had a media box and ran into an amp.

you dont have to have the matching speakers but they do look nice, and sound bloody great if im honest.

all the old pioneer plasmas are good, but reaching probably the last half of their lives now.

'Music Inflames Temperament'

#3 undertow

undertow

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 Mar 2012 - 21:17

As an alternative, the current 50" Panasonic plasma for £549 is worth considering

http://www.dixons.co...388043-pdt.html

#4 jonnyboy82

jonnyboy82

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 Mar 2012 - 17:03

This is the one I have been looking at: http://www.trustedre...ma-TV_TV_review

I am however open to any other recommendations around my price range.

#5 audiophile

audiophile

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 Mar 2012 - 22:12

I would say look into what John Lewis might have to offer seeing as they give a Five year warrenty on all tv units as standard.

#6 undertow

undertow

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2012 - 17:36

The Kuro's were clearly the best in their day but do you know when Pioneer shut down their plasma manufacturing that Panasonic got their tech and its been filtering down into their model range ever since?

Just saying you'd have to really not want a warranty, Freeview HD tuner, Internet connectivity, single box design and whatever else to buy a used Kuro ;)

#7 Scrambled_legs

Scrambled_legs

Irregular Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 Mar 2012 - 08:27

just buy one ! its only a TV

'Music Inflames Temperament'

#8 thejoose

thejoose

Project Little White

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 17 Mar 2012 - 09:50

I was looking to replace my 40in Samsung LCD and decided on Plasma this time - I looked at the Panasonic thet undertow linked to but couldnt find anywhere with stock - I managed to get a mint Samsund PS51D550 from a guy on ebay for £550 so im happy with that picking it up tuesday

#9 wellhouse0

wellhouse0

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 Mar 2012 - 11:23

i've had most of the pioneer gen 8 or 9 40/50 inchers, fantastic and very expensive tv's when new. However since the demise of pioneer kuro tv's, panasonic have taken over the mantle at the top of the pile. Get a Panasonic v series (v20-30) more up to date. if you can't afford that get a g20-30 series. Worth the money.

#10 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 9,031 posts

Posted 18 Mar 2012 - 11:16

I wouldn't put any thought into the so called life of plasmas and regassing etc etc.

We've had a 6 series Panasonic HD plasma for around 8 years now and the picture today is as good as it was when first bought.
It gets used every day for TV, PS3, Bluray and has never put a foot wrong.
Still looks better than most new TVs imho.

Old Kuro screens are amongst the best natural looking pictures available and I wouldn't hesitate buying one if it came up at the right price and not abused.

#11 juggler

juggler

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 Mar 2012 - 18:51

agreed with above simply the best for clarity and detail untouchable !

#12 sasho

sasho

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:01

from what I know plasma tvs are first choice when you are watching In darker room but when you are at light room LCD tvs are better option
what do you think about LG lcd tvs and specially LV or LW models

#13 youngsyp

youngsyp

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 00:30

If you can find one, a 9th gen Kuro would be a good buy. However, as mentioned above, Panasonic have risen to the occasion with the 14th and 15th generation panels. I've got a VT30 (14th gen) (calibrated) and it's wonderful. With good TV broadcasts, it's as though you're looking through a window at the scene and not umpteen pieces of video equipment etc... With Blu-ray, it's incredible too.
The ST50, GT50 and VT50 (15th gen) have upped the game again, improving on black levels and also some of the slight issues the 30 series TV's had, like the 50hz bug and peak luminance restriction in professional mode.
Now's the time to buy the 30 series models as the 50 series has just been released, driving down the older model's prices.

I was always an LCD person previously (not sure why...) however, now I have the Panasonic, I'd never buy an LCD TV for my main viewing again.

Paul

Edited by youngsyp, 19 May 2012 - 00:32.

Pioneer DEH-P88RS - Focal 165VB - Rockford Fosgate Punch 4080DSM - Alpine MRD-M1005 - Sundown Audio SA-8 D2 in an HBH ported enclosure

#14 sasho

sasho

• 2 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2012 - 09:09

I was always an LCD person previously (not sure why...) however, now I have the Panasonic, I'd never buy an LCD TV for my main viewing again.

Paul

why