jl audio xd vs jl audio /v2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gav1n

gav1n

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 Feb 2012 - 08:50

So ive decided i want to stick to jl audio amps. Ive been looking at the xd series, mainly as the reviews ive seen are good and after getting my grubby little mits on one they feel like a quality amp for sensible money. Plus they are tiny so mounting and hiding them will be a doddle!!

but after seeing the prices of used /v2 amps im wondering if id be better off spending a bit more on a used 300/4 and a 500/1 or 1000/1. i know they are a lot bigger than the xd's but would it be worth the extra mounting grief what with the increased footprint size problems??

ive settled on jl c2 components for the front and will be getting a single 12w6.

its in the family car which has to hold dogs and kids and all other manner of family life so ill be aiming more for a quality sound than bass heavy, but not quite as far as full on sq!!

It will all be in a 3dr 03 focus for now, but i intend to get something like an 05 ish mondeo estate within the next 6 - 8 months.

any opinions appreciated

Edited by gav1n, 28 Feb 2012 - 08:55.

#2 hertzman

hertzman

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 28 Feb 2012 - 08:56

The slash amps will be a tad better on the sq side of things but unless the speakers are installed perfectly then I doubt its a difference you would notice. The slash also have the rips power supply to regulate output but again if its a low power system you after this isn't going to make a huge difference as voltage won't be fluctuating much anyway.

The xd amps offer a good balance and I think are excellence value for money, much more efficient being class d and easier to hide away from the kids and the dogg.
mtx ta5302 - mtx t6000 components - Mtx TA81001 powering a MTX t612-22. - pioneer bt6400

ps - if anybody is selling any mint condition mtx ta series amps, please contact me

#3 voltdropastra

voltdropastra

I'm not spamming..

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 Feb 2012 - 09:58

I would pick the slash series over xd but would pick hd over the both of them
SYSTEM IN THE MAKING...........

I don't question my sanity anymore, my sanity questions me.....

#4 gav1n

gav1n

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 Feb 2012 - 10:34

Cheers guys, i did look at the hd but for the price i just cant warrant it!! i spent thousands on soundstream reference amps back in the day and vowed not to get that heavily in to it this time.

although when i mentioned putting a wall and 4 15's in the car the missus said 'do what you want'!!!!

but i dont think i will as much as im tempted.

ive gotta stick with the upgraded quality sound than a balls out system this time and be moderatly sensible!!!

#5 Captain Slackbladder

Captain Slackbladder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 Feb 2012 - 23:40

the XD's are lovely little units but I have a real soft spot for the Slash amps - they are really strong, reliable, clean amps.

from the XD series - a 500/3 - or if you want to go active at the front a 700/5 will be a great idea.

I'm just about to put a 600/6 into my wife's Scirocco - as you say they are so easy to hide away :)

Team Hybrids UK

#6 gav1n

gav1n

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 Feb 2012 - 12:03

I would go with the slash amps, but my main priority is space. if i can fit a 300/4 and a 500/1 where my current kicker bits of poo are then ill go with the slash series.

But the tiny xd amps are very tempting. Decisions decisions!!!

#7 slashv2

slashv2

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 29 Feb 2012 - 21:07

The slash v2 series are, in my experience, very reliable, cool running and efficient.

Edited by slashv2, 29 Feb 2012 - 21:40.

#8 diamondgezzer

diamondgezzer

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 Feb 2012 - 21:46

My 2 cents I have heard all 3 amps I I have slash V2 in my car. The Jx is a good amp for the price if space is a concern then the XD however the slash does sound better. To hear the differance you have to have installation done very well and also have a trained ear to what you are listening to. I have heard the JL HD amps. I am about to suggest to you anotehr option have a look at CAD at this amp although not a JL amp this little beauty gives the HD a run for it's price http://www.caraudiod...pine-pdxf4.html I have heard this amp on JL c2 comps the sound is so clean and clear in terms of SQ in my opinion the amp edges just ahead of HD amps that is just my opinion though.

#9 gav1n

gav1n

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 Mar 2012 - 16:43

Thanks again for the input.

I had a measure up and the slash amps just wont fit where ive got my current amps (behind the rear 1/4 panels on a 3 dr focus).

So i think the desicion has been made to go with the xd amps.........till i change my mind again!!!

although ive just worked out i can get the hd 1200/1 and the 600/4 for £1050 for the pair from the states, thats inc vat and import fees