Treating?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyc

jimmyc

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2012 - 21:22

Just wondering does the box need any treatment like an air tight coating of some sort? Also, how do you make a baffle?

Thanks.
MG ZR
2 JL Audio 10w3's
DLS A1
Components.........................?
4 Gauge Mobile Spec cable

#2 boozydave

boozydave

kestrel super FTW!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2012 - 22:09

what wood are you using?
mdf is porous, but air doesn't flow through it. you can coat it in PVA, but makes faff all difference.

silicone all the corners and put 45 degree corners inside the box, so you don't get 'dead spots' for airflow.

a baffle is the face of the box that the speaker is mounted on. so, depends on the subs. one 8 should be ok with 18mm mdf. but 4x 15's will need a double baffle (2x18mm) and bracing (m18 bar between faces or similar)

HTH

impreza wrx 05

330bhp

#3 jimmyc

jimmyc

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2012 - 07:16

It's plygloss? It's like ply but with the top and bottom surface glossed.

Oh right? Sweet that saves me some time. What do you mean about deadspots?

I see - I'll be putting two 15's on the top plate and the thickness of my material is 1 inch, will that be sufficient?

Cheers :)
MG ZR
2 JL Audio 10w3's
DLS A1

#4 dumdum

dumdum

Trade User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 23 Feb 2012 - 21:21

what wood are you using?
mdf is porous, but air doesn't flow through it. you can coat it in PVA, but makes faff all difference.

silicone all the corners and put 45 degree corners inside the box, so you don't get 'dead spots' for airflow.

a baffle is the face of the box that the speaker is mounted on. so, depends on the subs. one 8 should be ok with 18mm mdf. but 4x 15's will need a double baffle (2x18mm) and bracing (m18 bar between faces or similar)

HTH

silicone shouldnt be used in a box really, far better to just pva the inside of the enclosure ;) also no need to round the corners of an enclosure, it robs valuable space, if it makes an enclosure louder id out money on it being because the box was smaller or they stiffened up the sides of the enclosure ;)

air doesnt flow in an enclosure, it resonates, a radiused port is a method of increasing the surface area of the end of a port, hence allowing more air to resonate the volume of air in the port, then the flare on the other end makes it act on more air your in, hence giving more pressure swing, hence volume ;)
2007 - Street max 1-2 comin at ya! 163.4db and fifth in the world - for now!!

- UK sm 1-2 champion (cheers to all who've helped out!)

2008 - 164.1 @ WF in france - 0.7 off the loudest in the WF

2009 - find me a 165+ (hard work ahead)

big thanks to all who've helped me get this far

Chris@axis distribution for amps (5k) and subs (APXX)

Am @ blade ice for subs (FI BTL's) and Knuconceptz 1/0 gauge (nothing better!) :)

#5 jimmyc

jimmyc

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 Feb 2012 - 06:43

Would silicone be alright though? It's just i have some sealant at home but no PVA or anything like that, but i'd go out and get some if it is going to be a better seal?
MG ZR
2 JL Audio 10w3's
DLS A1

#6 greeef

greeef

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 Feb 2012 - 15:36

if you cut straight and glue true, you dont need sealant.
foobar2000 - MSI wind - M-Audio conectiv - Peerless SLS6.5 - Tangband W3-871SC - Peerless XLS10 - Boston Acoustics GT-28 - PG Tantrum 600.4

#7 Jason_D

Jason_D

Bass Dawg!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 27 Feb 2012 - 19:22

silicone shouldnt be used in a box really, far better to just pva the inside of the enclosure ;) also no need to round the corners of an enclosure, it robs valuable space, if it makes an enclosure louder id out money on it being because the box was smaller or they stiffened up the sides of the enclosure ;)

air doesnt flow in an enclosure, it resonates, a radiused port is a method of increasing the surface area of the end of a port, hence allowing more air to resonate the volume of air in the port, then the flare on the other end makes it act on more air your in, hence giving more pressure swing, hence volume ;)

if 45's getting the box louder is to do with making the box smaller, why doesn't the peak raise? and also, if air doesn't "flow" why does air move in and out of the port? and also, why does a smoother box get louder? if the air didn't flow then surely it wouldn't matter how rough the inside of your box is?

im just curious why you say it doesn't flow?
2 x DC Audio Level 5 18"
2 x Sundown SAZ 2500's
40Hz= 155.3dB
33Hz= 157.6dB
25Hz= 156.3dB
20Hz= 153.4dB
Peak= 157.6dB @ 33Hz
Total Average= 156.0dB

#8 Issac008

Issac008

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 Feb 2012 - 20:07

45's and smoothing help out alot with making it sound better and you can gain slight increases in db. putting a finish on the inside would help but spot on with glue and having very straight cuts on your wood helps alot

#9 boozydave

boozydave

kestrel super FTW!!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 Feb 2012 - 22:06

dumdum, i know you know more than me making boxes, but.....

how come the big boys use magic db dust to find 'dead spots'? if the dust doesn't move when subs are working, it's classed as a dead spot. if air doesn't move, how can this work?

why smooth the inside of boxes to help the 'air flow'?

:confused:

glad jason is curious like me :beam:

impreza wrx 05

330bhp