Photo

what headphone thread - this must be the first post like this EVER (take two)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 be ja min

be ja min

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 22:32

following on from mr c's thread, im also on the lookout for some decent cans.
now ive always used in ear ones, as i used to think people using the big ones looked like dorks, but after a while of listening with in ear ones they start to hurt (ive got tiny ear apertures) and i just happened to try on a pair of bose quiet comfort 15's noise cancelling thingies while wasting time in john lewis....
i know bose is over priced hype, but jesus i couldnt believe the contrast in sound, and have to admit the sound produced from them far out performed any of my in ear ones. also the comfort of them was out of this world, felt like my head was being enveloped by a huge pair of fluffy boobs.
was almost tempted there and then to spank the 290 quid on a pair of them there and then, but then my sensible side kicked in and said to ask you gurus first :lol:

no doubt there are cheaper alternatives, oh and noise cancelling is a MUST!

#2 Roverdose

Roverdose

• 5 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 11:36

Dr Dre beats £119 on amazon. Completely blew me away. Highly recomend! you can try them out at HMV but buy them off amazon as it's much much cheaper!

#3 heyho

heyho

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 13:42

I suggest getiing over to Head-fi, and start reading.

I've never heard the "Beats" range, but the general consensus appears to be that they are not bad in themselves as 'phones, but no better than others at half the price. Style over content in other words, plus you'll look like a 'tard wearing them.

I'm not sure what is available with noise cancelling, but a decent set of closed cans should passively block out most external noise. I'll still heartily recommend my ATH-M50s, but I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of the suggestions in Chris's thread. :)

"There's a naked man, standing laughing in your dreams,

You know who it is...

But you don't like what it means."

#4 audiophile

audiophile

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 21:35

I have the Bowers & Wilkins P5's and don't regret spending the money on such a well built, comfortable and great sounding pair of headphones. I like the natural sound they give compared to the Bose which for me sounded too processed.

#5 cozmium

cozmium

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 23:23

I'd say look at Audio Technica too; they make some of the finest quality headphones i've heard (for the price). My missus has bought two pairs; both clip-on ones and fully closed ones and they even sound good compared to my ££££s worth of b&w speakers. The clip-on style obviously will do little for noise cancelling though.

Edited by cozmium, 19 Feb 2012 - 23:24.

#6 Fatbloke

Fatbloke

this place'll bankrupt me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2012 - 10:23

http://www.talkaudio...new-headphones/
I give advice not instructions.

#7 kaizen

kaizen

Was Mr Music

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2012 - 11:14

I got a pair of Beyerdynamic T50p headphones for Christmas from the wife. They are £250 ish new and are fantastic sounding cans. Out perform headphones with much bigger price tags!

PIONEER RS-D7X RS-P70XII

PIONEER TS-T01RSII TS-M01RSII TS-W01RSII

3X PIONEER PRS-A500

#8 audiophile

audiophile

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2012 - 21:26

I must admit knowing people within the industry helped make the price more affordable for me :)

#9 be ja min

be ja min

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2012 - 09:55

Well after spending a long time reading reviews and looking at threads on head-fi, its pretty much sealed that ill be going for the bose's. Yes they may not be the best sounding cans in the world, but the noise cancellation is second to none apparently. Seeing as this is the main reason i want a pair of closed phones they have kinda sold themselves.
I'm planning on doing a lot of travelling very soon, so that is why noise cancellation is so important!

On another topic, would these benefit much from a separate phone amp?

#10 wilfy

wilfy

Sub killer :(

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2012 - 22:58

Dr Dre beats £119 on amazon. Completely blew me away. Highly recomend! you can try them out at HMV but buy them off amazon as it's much much cheaper!

Posted Image

Ford focus estate

#11 33Hz!

33Hz!

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 Feb 2012 - 02:38

I got a pair of AKG K450's for Christmas and absolutely love them, very punchy and attacking sound.

Highly recommend them!

http://www.whathifi.com/review/k450
The Car, 2011 Fiesta Zetec S
The kit, 15" DC lvl 4, DLS Ultimate A6, Hertz Hi Energy HSK165, Sundown Audio SAX 125.2, Audison Bit Ten D.

#12 majsvibe

majsvibe

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 Mar 2012 - 17:41

second hand pair of stax headphone on ebay go around £100 and worth every penny!

#13 greeef

greeef

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 20 Mar 2012 - 18:10

beyerdynamic dt770 or that range. On the cheaper, active noise cancelling side of things, goldring NS-1000.
foobar2000 - MSI wind - M-Audio conectiv - Peerless SLS6.5 - Tangband W3-871SC - Peerless XLS10 - Boston Acoustics GT-28 - PG Tantrum 600.4

#14 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 Apr 2012 - 17:46

I have a pair of grado sr325is, paired with a project headbox amp

mk4 Astra more door

Alpine ida x100 on standard front & rears

12" Pioneer 307d2 on slick A7 @ 1Ω 750w

#15 Scrambled_legs

Scrambled_legs