• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sati_007

Sati_007

Narrow-Angle-Six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 02:06

been on cable since day one of NTL had a few up's and downs over the years but nothing a phone call could not sort out,

over the months the prices have gone up and up ..used to be like £10 a month now its like £33 a month , got tv/phone/net .. but the phone is billed separate to the tv & net ... which is about £12 a month.. got letter today saying the prices are going to go up more in the following month or two.. but yet they offer "new customers" all three services for £33... virgin say there upping the speed soon for free .. but i guess change in price reflects this.

dad , has pretty much given the green light for sky broadband from next month.. now this means i have to have a telephone socket installed in my room , run a new coax cable & get a multi output LNB for the dish , plus a skybox , buy a decent ASDL wireless router..

sky have said we should get around 10mbp/s .. but this depends on various other factors... now i dont do alot of online gaming, but i do use FTP alot and P2P programs, remote desktop , media server.. so need a good upload speed aswell as download.. and it must be reliable as i do a fair bit of network configure work for my uni course , which is done in real time over the internet so, if the connection is lost i have to start again from scratch (not fun, esp when your being tested and on limited time!)

few friends have been on talk talk , bt , 02 and i found there internet so slow, that the 3G on my phone was faster! ..so before i give the go ahead (sign the papers when they arrive). are there any other really good company's?
Mk2 Golf - Narrow Angle Six:
Alpine 9880R

Audiocontrol Epicenter (20hz Subsonic)
Crunch P1800.4 Amp: 2x 3.5" Dual Cones - Tweets , 4x 6.5" VIbe Black Air - Mids

Alpine MRP-T130 Amp: 2x 6.5" Infinity Ref 6022i (rear)
Orion Hcca D5000 Amp: 2x 12" DBXI-12D Earthquake's , 4.2Cuft Box @ 35hz ,

0awg Wiring, Odssey P2150 100ah & Ac Delco 54ah Battery's, 120amp stock Alt (180A waiting to be fitted)

#2 mx0range

mx0range

Rolling on

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 08:41

if your going with adsl then the biggest factor is how far you are from the exchange and the quality of your line.

try this to see how far you are from your exchange http://www.kitz.co.u...adslchecker.php

mk7 Fiesta.. audio upgrades to follow when i get round to it.. which could be a while as iv lost a lot of interest. in fact i only want to change the stereo now so i can use my mighty apple!

#3 jexdirectedtech

jexdirectedtech

Im all out of wit today.

• 10,849 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 10:17

Indeed,
It doesnt *really* matter which provider you use, at the end of the day, the copper going to the house, and its length is the limiting/service quality delivery factor, and is under BTs control, not the actual provider.
Are you on NTL cable at the moment? If you are, I would suggest reading them the riot act, and staying with them - ADSL is NEVER going to outperform Cable.

Take the mick in the classifieds and thou shall have sharp objects thrown at your reproductive organs :)

#4 greeef

greeef

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 12:20

I had sky broadband and it was alright, never as quick as when I've had cable though. I think you'll regret this move - cancel the phone line and pay for a Skype number if you want to reduce monthly cost.
foobar2000 - MSI wind - M-Audio conectiv - Peerless SLS6.5 - Tangband W3-871SC - Peerless XLS10 - Boston Acoustics GT-28 - PG Tantrum 600.4

#5 Jammy B

Jammy B

Privileged jammy b@stard!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 19:19

Got sky unlimited BB with skytalk and skyHD.

Never been told I'm being excessive with my 24/7 usenet usage lol.

#6 wilfy

wilfy

Sub killer :(

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 18 Feb 2012 - 20:07

if they are telling you you'll get 10mbps i'm gonna hazard a guess and say you'll get a rather shakey 8mbps, i've had the best and worse end of adsl and i would never go back again. even now whilst i look for a bigger house to rent i take in to consideration distance to the exchange for adsl or look for cable as a priority

Ford focus estate

#7 Sati_007

Sati_007

Narrow-Angle-Six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 14:10

iam getting 9.94 mbps down and 1 mbps up atm with vrigin , sky speed /line checker says the lowest i get is 9.64 mbps and highest 16.84 mbps .. upload speed in not stated.. local exhange anit that far around 2-3miles
Alpine 9880R

0awg Wiring, Odssey P2150 100ah & Ac Delco 54ah Battery's, 120amp stock Alt (180A waiting to be fitted)

#8 John Dorian

John Dorian

I'm no superman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 19 Feb 2012 - 14:25

I'm moving from VM to Sky this Friday so if you're still looking at that point I will report back.

I'm on the lowest VM BB so should really see no difference.

BTW Sky allow you to cancel within 14 days if you don't reach the speed they say so you should get.
Never ending inner monologue........

#9 Sati_007

Sati_007

Narrow-Angle-Six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2012 - 11:32

well good news .. after telling virgin to end our contact and sky have asked them to transfer the landline over to them .. next day get a call from virgin .. normally crap .. sorry your leaving us ..(normal bull crap here) .. then they said what can we do to make you stay with us .. simple said match or beat sky offer and i'll stay with you.. so now paying only £20.90 a month for all three sevices .. told sky were not switching to you anymore, as virgin beat you price.. they were surprised.. also we got to keep the sony 3d glasses that they gave for join them :) virgin said in oct the speed will be upped to 20mb and once the fibre optic laying in complete in the area (bt have started laying the lines in my area already, so VM are waiting for them to finish, to either start there own or tap into there cables for there services)

also we would of have to have the house rewired from the outside cabnit to the house.. as the current line is not good enough to give the speed sky said (this was only £10 , but extra cost apply for more outlets or if all sockets need to be rewired)..
Alpine 9880R

#10 Brind

Brind

iRregular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,472 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2012 - 11:49

I've heard of many people having issues with Sky but as Jex said above, it's mostly because of the lines, because Talk Talk are generally bad too.

I've had NTL and now Virgin broadband since I changed from dial up many many years ago. Never really had a problem with them, other than speed issues a few times but this has been linked to hardware.
I'm changing to all of Virgin Media's services soon. Currently have Sky, ditched the HD a few months back and have a very poor telephone line which crackles that has NEVER been sorted despite moaning about it. The current provider is Talk Talk which was a huge mistake as the bill is more than twice what it was with BT.

Cable is far more reliable!

#11 Sati_007

Sati_007

Narrow-Angle-Six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2012 - 11:52

I've heard of many people having issues with Sky but as Jex said above, it's mostly because of the lines, because Talk Talk are generally bad too.

I've had NTL and now Virgin broadband since I changed from dial up many many years ago. Never really had a problem with them, other than speed issues a few times but this has been linked to hardware.
I'm changing to all of Virgin Media's services soon. Currently have Sky, ditched the HD a few months back and have a very poor telephone line which crackles that has NEVER been sorted despite moaning about it. The current provider is Talk Talk which was a huge mistake as the bill is more than twice what it was with BT.

Cable is far more reliable!

a new rotor sorted my poor speed out .. been with them ntl/virgin ..since they came out with the mind blowing 128kbps boardband lol
Alpine 9880R