69 replies to this topic

#1 ncohen

ncohen

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 17:16

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here so I thought I would show you all what I've been upto.

Firstly missing the bass since I sold the astra but will hopefully get a chance to get some more bass in my life some time soon! But it won't be in this kit lol

I've always wanted to do a kit car but never got round to actually getting one, came pretty close to a Dax Rush a few years back but didn't end up happening. For those of you at Modified Nationals in the summer may have seen the car being advertised by the company in the main hall. Once I saw that I loved the look of it, and a fair bit cheaper than the Dax model. Also looks very different to the usual kit cars based on the dax, caterhams etc.

Its called the Rocket, It's based on the Atom, but uses a ford focus mk1 as the donor car. I didn't want to have the hasstle or buying one and taking it apart so I've bought the main bits new and whatever else I need will just get off ebay. Have got a brand new Focus 2.0L engine to go in it :) also can get it registered as a new car this way instead of having an age related plate.

I'm building it in a shed in the back of my garden, not the biggest of places but it will have to do. I got the chassis build with a removable roll bar as the plan was to take it out by taking it through the house on its side (without the engine and gearbox in as that would be way to heavy to even attempt!) but I think in the end I will have to get a crane and get it lifted out..but we'll see when I finish it! Hopefully have it on the road by the summer!

Anyway on with the pics:

The shed its being built in
Posted Image

Bare chassis
Posted Image

Front brakes
Posted Image

Where I'm upto currently...ish
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0-60 4-5 seconds, and once/if I get bored of the power I can always slap a supercharger or throttle bodies on it :)

More info on the company website http://www.roadtrack....co.uk/rtr.html

Here is a finished car from the company:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ncohen, 27 Jan 2012 - 17:25.

#2 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 9,148 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 17:32

Very nice project you have there.
I can't say I'm fond of the finished look, but this is purely cosmetic based on the body panels.
However it looks like it will go, handle and stop like stink - which is what matters :)

#3 WonkyJon

WonkyJon

yum

• 11,493 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 18:14

love the body outline on the floor :lol:

looks like you've made a good start, wish I had the room/time/money to build a car like that. looking forward to watching the progress :)

#4 steve_p

steve_p

Semi employed bum

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 18:43

Looks like a fun project. That door looks quite narrow. Are you sure you'll get it out once it's finished?!? ;)

Slowest install ever.......

... I feel like the king of the world up there  :D ... certainly makes up for my teeny tiny todger lol 

#5 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,273 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 19:19

I was given a hardtop for my spitfire by a French bloke who'd rebuilt a spitfire in his basement, he had to take it all apart again to get it out and reassemble it upstairs in the garden! Looks like it'll be a hoot to drive although I'd be wanting a roll bar on it myself.
HeavyChevy

2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3 V6, '67 Chevrolet C10 Pickup 350ci V8,

You only need three tools in life - wd-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. If you can't fix it with either you've got an electrical problem.

#6 KaosKustomsUK

KaosKustomsUK

Motorsport Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,008 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 19:23

Posted Image

Im pretty sure your slave cyclinders are upside down :??
Steve

Army Surplus Clearout coming soon!
Motorsport Mechanic.
Management Student.

#7 ncohen

ncohen

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 19:30

Thanks for the comments guys! The body outline was done as I had the shed built but there was a delay on the delivery and I got bored lol

There is a roll bar but mine was built as a removeable one so I could get the car through the house on its side, I'll get a pic up at some point

The picture with the slave cylinders was taken with the car upside down, so yes in that picture they are lol

#8 micb

micb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,493 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 19:52

Woah this looks like an ace project, I must admit I have a soft spot for the Atom but not really willing to pay the prices. This Rocket seems very cool. I bet it will be so much fun when done.
My saying: "A boom a day keeps the hearing away."

brain attack

lager, cures that problem, kills the brain, brain cant attack if its dead

- TEAM WALL IT!

#9 Paintguy

Paintguy

It's all in the wrist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,852 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 19:57

Great project mate - keep us updated :)

#10 EddyP

EddyP

• 15,638 posts

Posted 27 Jan 2012 - 23:08

I know someone that's building one of these and i've had a really good look at it, whilst it's a nice cheap kit there are a few reasons why, some parts of the design are a little questionable in terms of the chassis stiffness.
Not sure how long you've had this kit and when they changed the design of the rear uprights, but make sure you've got the webs welded on the back of them, the ones i've seen are just a flat plate and are such a weak design, awful lot of bending potential.

Enjoy though, will be a good project, if you need any IVA advice etc.. feel free to ask :)

#11 DaDangerMan

DaDangerMan

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2012 - 15:25

looks a good project will be watching this

#12 black-cat

black-cat

Project 2501

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,037 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2012 - 19:01

some parts of the design are a little questionable in terms of the chassis stiffness.

They quote a torsional stiffness of 2000Nm/degree. Thats about 15% of the torsional stiffness of a ford focus. I hope its a typo.
Tom
[ Fiat | JVC | Phase Linear | Illusion Audio | Beyma | Vifa ]
[ Alfa | Becker | Phase Linear | Illusion Audio | Image Dynamics ]

CBRmini build diary

#13 ncohen

ncohen

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 12:53

All the kits have the webs welded at the back of the rear uprights, I believe it was only the very first ones that didn't and that was a long time ago.

As far as the cars stiffness is concerned the car has been accepted in the australian market, something which the atom has not been accepted in due to it not being upto their standards. So in that respect I believe it is more than stiff enough for a car.

Anyway more pics to follow soon!

#14 be ja min

be ja min

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 13:17

dont these suffer badly from understeer?

I do like though, one day may get round to building something like it....although think i'd use a bike engine :twisted:

Edited by be ja min, 09 Feb 2012 - 13:21.

#15 tej

tej

280bhp 440lbft of ///Diesel power

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,231 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 13:40

Nice project! I'm bored at work and was co-incidently looking at the cost of Caterham/Westfield kits as a little side thing to do when the TVR is gone! A lot more pricey than I thought though!

#16 ncohen

ncohen

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 13:51

I don't think they suffer from understeer but will find out when I'm finished! Maybe I'll put one in when I get bored lol but then you don't get a reverse gear which could leave you in some sticky situations lol

Yeah the price is always much higher with any kit, I was looking at a dax rush and from the basic price to the price once you've added all the nice little bits is a massive jump! But the same with this, people have built them to a very strict budget but I want a car with a new engine and new bits etc so that put the price up.

#17 chilesy

chilesy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 14:30

Looking forward to more pics , lovely kit :)

#18 chiark

chiark

Proven Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 15:20

No reverse gear? What box is it using?

Looks awesome, I remember drooling over one of these last year and saying "one day"... I'd love to have the cash to build a caterham with my kids... One day...

Best of luck with it - keep the thread up to date!

Nick.
BMW F31 with Harman Kardon.  Can't see me changing much in it...

#19 EddyP

EddyP

• 15,638 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 18:32

It;s the bike engined ones that don't have a reverse gear, the solution a lot of people use is to put a starter motor on the rear sprocket, or you can use a reversing gearbox, but they're damn expensive and apparently quite noisy.

#20 joe_g

joe_g

Witness the grip-ness!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 09 Feb 2012 - 19:25

Nice project! I'm bored at work and was co-incidently looking at the cost of Caterham/Westfield kits as a little side thing to do when the TVR is gone! A lot more pricey than I thought though!

You can buy some part-built kit cars which are 99% complete but havent got very far build-wise, for a fraction of the cost.
Joe G:- I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is.

-2011 Renault Kangaroo td daily.

-1997 Mazda Mx-5 1.8 130

-1982 mk3 Ford Capri 2.8 V6.