• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 d2k

d2k

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 Jan 2011 - 18:55

Hi all...... ;)

i have a query regarding the need to run 8ga from amp to sub...

we all buy hefty cables to run our equipment.... 0ga from batt to Amp, 8ga from Amp to sub, yet as soon as the 8ga runs through the banana plugs its then carried on by tiny tinsel leads buried into the spider or tiny cables running to the coil...

example...

here's a pioneer TS-W5000SPL

here you can see the 8ga coming up to the sub & then being choked by these pissy little leads.... surely this creates resistance.??(tinsel leads are even smaller)

Posted Image
Posted Image

so where is the logic in running such hefty runs to subs when theyre all being intercepted before hitting the coil by what appears to be inadaquate wire..??

enlighten me ICE Guru's :P

Fusion CD500
Fusion PP 5'' coax (front)
Vibe Black Air 5'' comp (back)
RF Power HX2 12'
2X R2100 Ripspeed

#2 WonkyJon

WonkyJon

yum

• 11,490 posts

Posted 14 Jan 2011 - 19:19

most people running 8ga cable to their subs have subs with 4 or more tinsel leads, so quite a lot of wire ;) also remember that shorter runs of wire dont need to be have as much cross sectional area - cable requirements are related to both the power and the length of the run of that power has to travel.

The whole point is that your system is only as good as its weakest point. why introduce a weak point you don't have to?

And would you please learn when to use a wink smiley. you remind me of Joey in friends trying to learn how to use quote marks :lol:

#3 d2k

d2k

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 Jan 2011 - 19:24

most people running 8ga cable to their subs have subs with 4 or more tinsel leads, so quite a lot of wire ;) also remember that shorter runs of wire dont need to be have as much cross sectional area - cable requirements are related to both the power and the length of the run of that power has to travel.

The whole point is that your system is only as good as its weakest point. why introduce a weak point you don't have to?

And would you please learn when to use a wink smiley. you remind me of Joey in friends trying to learn how to use quote marks :lol:

thankyou jon!! :)

lol..... i have to live up to ''forum clown'' mate, or it would be no fun for ppl to tear me down.. ;)

Fusion CD500
Fusion PP 5'' coax (front)
Vibe Black Air 5'' comp (back)
RF Power HX2 12'
2X R2100 Ripspeed

#4 WonkyJon

WonkyJon

yum

• 11,490 posts

Posted 14 Jan 2011 - 19:26

you can't call your self forum clown...Other people decide that, I wouldn't call you a clown...

;)

#5 Sati_007

Sati_007

Narrow-Angle-Six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 17 Jan 2011 - 11:39

i could run 4gauge with rings to my subs (15" FI BL's) quite easy .. but true 8 gauge cable was think enough as it barly fitted in the sub and amp (d5000).
Mk2 Golf - Narrow Angle Six:
Alpine 9880R

Audiocontrol Epicenter (20hz Subsonic)
Crunch P1800.4 Amp: 2x 3.5" Dual Cones - Tweets , 4x 6.5" VIbe Black Air - Mids

Alpine MRP-T130 Amp: 2x 6.5" Infinity Ref 6022i (rear)
Orion Hcca D5000 Amp: 2x 12" DBXI-12D Earthquake's , 4.2Cuft Box @ 35hz ,

0awg Wiring, Odssey P2150 100ah & Ac Delco 54ah Battery's, 120amp stock Alt (180A waiting to be fitted)