Photo

Crossovers, 2-way speakers, tweeters and cabling question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 diddums100

diddums100

Attention Whore

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 Oct 2010 - 13:15

Hey guys,

Have recently fitted some 2-way speakers (highs and mids) to my front doors, which already have some tweeters in - both attached to the HU. Now i want to amp these 2-way speakers and the tweeters from the same output from the amp and was planning on using some crossovers. However, on a standard 2-way crossover it's going to cut the upper frequencies from the 2 way speakers - what do i do about this?

As my amp currently has a low pass filter on the output can i split the cable before it gets to the crossover, put one line straight into the 2-way speakers and one into the crossover and just use the high frequency output on it for the tweeter?

B@
B@Th*nG

#2 Arthur S

Arthur S

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 Oct 2010 - 19:55

Yes you can connect tweeters from your original passive filter and mid's from amplifier outputs with active amplifier filter. I want to suggest to use four channel amp. for your two way speakers. Amplifier will play better than HU.And second way: cut in separate passive HP and LP filter and connect them to four channel amplifier. Then you will have passive x-over's. In this scheme you don't need active amplifier filter.

#3 greeef

greeef

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2010 - 13:12

I disagree - personally I would leave it so the door speakers don't have treble, you don't really want your high end coming from multiple places.
foobar2000 - M-Audio soundcard - Peerless SLS6.5 - Aurasound NSW2 - Peerless XLS10 - Boston Acoustics GT-28 - PG Tantrum 600.4

#4 diddums100

diddums100

Attention Whore

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2010 - 14:20

I disagree - personally I would leave it so the door speakers don't have treble, you don't really want your high end coming from multiple places.

Ah that's interesting. To add to that; the 2-way speakers are near the footwell while the tweeters are at the very top of the door so are much better positioned. The 2-way door speakers aren't particularly expensive, they're just an improvement on the standard door speakers, so i don't think i'd be missing a lot by not using the upper frequencies on them - especially considering their positioning. In which case you recommend just fitting a set of 2-way crossovers in the door and wiring the speakers/tweeters up in standard fashion?

B@
B@Th*nG

#5 greeef

greeef

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 21 Oct 2010 - 23:19

Yeah, I'm a hifi and pa head tho, pretty new to car audio. Might be worth waiting for another opinion. I'd be tempted to desolder the wires from the coaxial tweeters and run them to the current tweeters, just to see if it sounds alright and if you need to buy crossovers. Even if it doesn't, removing the xover circuit and disconnecting the coaxial (2way) tweeter will get a purer sound. Whether its better or not is your own judgement.
foobar2000 - M-Audio soundcard - Peerless SLS6.5 - Aurasound NSW2 - Peerless XLS10 - Boston Acoustics GT-28 - PG Tantrum 600.4

#6 Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,978 posts

Posted 22 Oct 2010 - 07:19

you cant just plonk any old crossover on any old speaker and expect it to sound good and work properly.

Some dont like running without both mid and tweeters attached and also the crossover will be designed for a specific speaker. It will work but might not sound very good. I ran a RE xover for my cdt mids and re tweets ages ago and it sounded awful.

Are you able to access the cables which feet the tweet on the 2 way speaker? Maybe you could simply cut the cables and tape them up to me safe. Then the tweet wont work at all.

2008 Street A: 145.8.................................................................2013: Street B: 149.1  - Uk Champion
2009 Street A: 145.9
2010 2nd in Street C: 138.1 (1 12" + 250wrms)
2011 Street C: 147.9
2011 Monster: 157.8 (12" and 9wrms)
2012 Street B: 148.1

Atomic, Digital Designs - Powered by XS Power

#7 diddums100

diddums100

Attention Whore

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 Oct 2010 - 10:47

I'd be tempted to desolder the wires from the coaxial tweeters and run them to the current tweeters, just to see if it sounds alright and if you need to buy crossovers. Even if it doesn't, removing the xover circuit and disconnecting the coaxial (2way) tweeter will get a purer sound. Whether its better or not is your own judgement.

hmmm.. ok, i get what you're saying. Is it likely that there'll be a built in crossover on the 2-way speakers to prevent muddying the built in tweeter?

you cant just plonk any old crossover on any old speaker and expect it to sound good and work properly.

Some dont like running without both mid and tweeters attached and also the crossover will be designed for a specific speaker. It will work but might not sound very good. I ran a RE xover for my cdt mids and re tweets ages ago and it sounded awful.

That's thrown a spanner in the works, I wasn't aware of that! I always assumed that crossovers just pushed the relevant frequencies to the relevant outputs but i'll have to look into that.

Are you able to access the cables which feet the tweet on the 2 way speaker? Maybe you could simply cut the cables and tape them up to me safe. Then the tweet wont work at all.

Ok, will bear that in mind. If I fit a crossover would the tweeter on the 2way speakers still be in use as it wouldn't be being sent those frequencies or is it best just to disconnect as you say?

Thanks for your help guys

B@
B@Th*nG

#8 greeef

greeef

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 23 Oct 2010 - 14:22

Unfortunately the only catch-all crossovers are active. A passive crossover can act very differently with different speakers - read up at sound.au.com if you want electrical details. Sometimes, you will be able to drop a circuit in and get lucky though, which is why I recommend some experimentation. If your doors already have tweeters don't you already have crossovers?

#9 diddums100

diddums100

Attention Whore

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 Oct 2010 - 13:45

Unfortunately the only catch-all crossovers are active. A passive crossover can act very differently with different speakers - read up at sound.au.com if you want electrical details. Sometimes, you will be able to drop a circuit in and get lucky though, which is why I recommend some experimentation. If your doors already have tweeters don't you already have crossovers?

The tweeters (they were factory fitted in the car - 98 vauxhall vectra sri) are run direct from the HU, like the front door speakers - so I'm 99.9% certain there isn't a crossover in the door for the tweeters.

I think an active crossover is going a bit far cost wise for what i'm after, i've really gone for bargain components so far (2nd hand and the like) and to get the best bang for the buck.

If the crossovers are going to be a problem (as they are only for the standard tweeters; it's just i heard they were alright) i can just wire up the 2-way door speakers and forget about the stand alone tweeters, it's not ideal but it's better than throwing money at something which might never be satisfactory. I can set a low-pass crossover on the amp so they're not going to be getting all the low frequencies or anything.

Speaking of which, as the HU only has a 2 channel output i'm going to be setting the amp to send input A to B. If i set a low-pass filter on A and a high pass filter on B does that mean that B will have both a high and low pass filter? That way i can make the 6x9's in the back focus a bit more on the lower frequencies.

B@
B@Th*nG