• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 - Q -

- Q -

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 Oct 2008 - 22:00

Right, my MOT expires tomorrow and was just wondering if I should be ok to drive it until the end of the day. I've looked over the MOT certificate and all it has on it is expiry date "1st November 2008", I assume that means that I can still drive the car until the end of tommorow?

Newbie question I know...

#2 SCOOTERMAN

SCOOTERMAN

Woof!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 31 Oct 2008 - 22:01

No. It expires on the day, i.e. 00:00:01, 01/11/08.
2000 Alfa Romeo 146ti

[SCOOTERMAN]...could use some female company that doesn't have four fingers, a thumb, and a mouth drawn on with lipstick...

#3 - Q -

- Q -

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 Oct 2008 - 22:03

Really? Woah, cheers; didn't know that. :cool:

#4 dave364634

dave364634

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 31 Oct 2008 - 23:15

i tell our customers it runs out at the end.

ie 01/11/2008 at 23:59:59

i think it says expires end something.

:confused:
I won't abuse my sig.

#5 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 01:26

How about if you took your car for an MOT before it was up and it failed?
Money will not make you happy, but at least you will be miserable in comfort.

There is no sin except stupidity

#6 DEVICES

DEVICES

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,017 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:13

No. It expires on the day, i.e. 00:00:01, 01/11/08.

You sure? I've always been led to believe its valid up until the end of the day specified.

Just checked, its definately up until Midnight. :) :)

#7 Bone.

Bone.

i'm cool AND pretty!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:16

You sure? I've always been led to believe its valid up until the end of the day specified.

Just checked, its definately up until Midnight. :) :)

agreed, it's expires at the end of said day...

Merc S500

Chevy Monte Carlo

'69 Lincoln Continental

Tru Rydaz C.C.

#8 - Q -

- Q -

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:36

Woohoo, a final day with my car! :lol:

How about if you took your car for an MOT before it was up and it failed?

I've already had it mot'd and it failed miserably, after today it's getting scrapped.

#9 DEVICES

DEVICES

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,017 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:40

Well you cant drive a car thats failed an MOT, even if its still has one thats 'valid'.

Its fails, thats it. It needs to pass a new one to be used. You can take your car for an MOT 28days-ish proper to the expiry date of the current MOT, but if it fails you basically get 11 months worth of the MOT, if it passes you get 13 months. :)

Been some confusion over it over the years, but its now pretty well documented and confirmed.

EDIT: Find a decent small-ish MOT test centre, and they will often do a 'pre mot' check on your car - basically they'll MOT it without running it through the computer, so you know if it'll pass or fail. Local place to me will do it for a tenner for their coffee fund, gives you a potential months grace to get it sorted.

And this will almost certainly open up the whole 'if your car cant pass an mot there and then its not roadlegal' load of arguements, so none of that please :)

Edited by DEVICES, 01 Nov 2008 - 10:43.

#10 Sly Boogie :D

Sly Boogie :D

Applied 4 provisional :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:46

Good luck scrapping it, it's £15 for a car here, and as of next week they'll only take them if their free.

#11 DEVICES

DEVICES

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,017 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 10:47

Its gone mental here.

Gone from £200 for a big motor to £20. :lol:

#12 - Q -

- Q -

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 12:31

Ah, I see, cheers Devices - that clears it up nicely. That means I've been driving around the last few days without a valid mot. :o

#13 Sly Boogie :D

Sly Boogie :D

Applied 4 provisional :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 12:56

Ah, I see, cheers Devices - that clears it up nicely. That means I've been driving around the last few days without a valid mot. :o

I wonder if we get a reward for turning in that confession :P

And yeah tell me about it, we've got 2 cars that sucks but my dads like nah put them on eBay - except crap cars aren't selling on there either!

God forbid if i get any more broke i might end up with - a corsa. Okay i admit it i want on in metallic blue anyway.

#14 collapsed sewer

collapsed sewer

Irregular bowel movements

• PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 20:54

Its fails, thats it. It needs to pass a new one to be used. You can take your car for an MOT 28days-ish proper to the expiry date of the current MOT, but if it fails you basically get 11 months worth of the MOT, if it passes you get 13 months. :)

Been some confusion over it over the years, but its now pretty well documented and confirmed.

Really? Where?
'Quarter of a century of unsurpassed supremacy'
- John Motson.

#15 collapsed sewer

collapsed sewer

Irregular bowel movements

• PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2008 - 21:06

Actually, I believe the 'within a calender month of the due date' thing is correct with regard to getting a new certificate that's valid for up to 13 months.

But the thing about you not being able to drive just because it's failed is simply NOT true. There IS a difference between the vehicle being deemed unroadworthy under Construction and Use regulations and an MOT failure. For example, failing the emissions test does not make a car unroadworthy, unless it's emitting plumes of smoke which causes danger to other road users of course.
'Quarter of a century of unsurpassed supremacy'
- John Motson.

#16 Alistair

Alistair

Retired

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,224 posts

Posted 03 Nov 2008 - 08:51

Well you cant drive a car thats failed an MOT, even if its still has one thats 'valid'.

Thats not correct.

If the car has a fault which means it contravenes the Road Traffic Act or other applicable legislation then the car is illegal to drive whether its gone for an MOT or not. This is stuff like headlamp bulb out, brake light not working, bald tyre, etc. but meh, you see plenty of cars driving round with only one brake light or a dud sidelight. If a copper can be bothered stopping you for it then you'll get told to sort it. Remember to say "thank you officer" and you'll avoid a ticket LOL.

Stuff like brake pads worn, rusty sills, worn bush or rough wheel bearing etc. you'd have to have been in enough cack to have got yourself a full VOSA inspection to fall fowl of, and again, whether the car is MOT, failed, not been for one, makes no difference.

The MOT is valid for a year, regardless of if the car fails in the mean time.

The crucial thing to remember is that the MOT is not a certificate of roadworthyness. It is a bit of largely worthless paper which shows that the car met the minimum standards for MOT test compliance on the date shown on the certificate. It even says this on the back of it.

If your car fails its MOT and it has time left on the old ticket you will not be done for no MOT. You may be done for any defects the car has however. This is nothing to do with the MOT.

I'm gonner sound like a bummer here, but I quite enjoy the hole activty

Maybe the government should stop telling me to stop eating thick sliced white bread and tell people to stop smoking crack instead.