• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gunswick

Gunswick

South Park Lover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 09:47

Just spotted on autotrader that these are right down to ~£4k now, a year or so back they were all up nearer 7.

What are they like? is the VVTI engine a similar concept to VTEC?

any info generally would be good :)

#2 Grant

Grant

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,638 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 09:55

http://www.parkers.c...coupe-1999.aspx
XBL - mr grunt2

#3 Woosey

Woosey

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,660 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 10:09

Problems with oil consumption which require a new short block.........

RIP HB

#4 Chippy

Chippy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 10:10

Which one are you after the 140bhp or 190bhp? I've driven the 190bhp version and that doesn't really start to make power until about 6000rpm.

#5 Gunswick

Gunswick

South Park Lover

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 10:11

oh i thought there was only the 140bhp! autotrader is a liar :lol:

probably the 190 if it falls even close to this price category

#6 RobM

RobM

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 11:51

The 190 will be more expensive but worth it if you can afford it. It does need to be taken above 6k rpm to get the most out of it, but that's the whole point! Similar to Honda VTec cars, the whole point is revving them high and enjoying the kick and noise you get!

The 140 is a superb car still, I highly recommend them! No slouch, but 'quick' rather than fast :)

The oil problems aren't as bad as people who have never owned them make out. Every car has known problems so as long as you take time and care over finding a good model, it will never let you down. Mine cost me an annual service and tyres and that's about it :)

#7 longboard

longboard

phoenix gold whore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 14:27

Problems with oil consumption which require a new short block.........

not on the celicas its only applicable to the 3 zz engine anyway 1.8 vvti in 6 years we as a main dealer has never done a celica for oil usuage

the 2zzge engine(190) is bomb proof as long as you dont put it in the wrong gear (many many people have,the six speeds are not the nicest gearbox in the world)

overall ive had very little problems with the celica as a model (last generation)at all no real common faults as such

the 190 alloys do have a tendancy to buckle tho and are not cheap to replace

apart from that usual running costs ie brakes servicing etc of a normal car

#8 turkey_welder

turkey_welder

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 15:42

I looked into getting one, had a go of a 190 and a 140 - I'd go for the 190 of the two - it handles nicer and goes like stink when you want it to.

The oil consumption issue does affect 140's, I did a lot of research into it on the TOC when I was going to buy one, from memory the pistons oval over time which causes the 140 bhp engine to burn more oil, then people forget to top them up as often and they run dry.

You can get away with a 140 - keep a VERY close eye on the oil level (check every week) and top up as necessary, but if it does start to burn oil, you're going to run into emissions issues and soiling of the cat if you're not careful.

Toyota have been known to test units for "excessive consumption" but I cant remember what the figures for this are, if they deem it to be excessive, they'll help or replace your engine, but you can avoid all this and get a 190!

Why didnt I buy one? I test drove an Mx5 the dealer had on the forecourt, so much more feeling and incredibly rewarding to drive, it then became a tossup between that and an Mr2.

aaaanyway! they're good. But for that money - Prelude..

#9 Woosey

Woosey

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,660 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 15:46

not on the celicas its only applicable to the 3 zz engine anyway 1.8 vvti in 6 years we as a main dealer has never done a celica for oil usuage

the 2zzge engine(190) is bomb proof as long as you dont put it in the wrong gear (many many people have,the six speeds are not the nicest gearbox in the world)

eh? there are people on the celica forums with gen 7 190's having problems with oil consumption?!

Infact here is the toyota service bulletin on it -

http://test.chrispho...co.uk/index.pdf

RIP HB

#10 longboard

longboard

phoenix gold whore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 17:29

Toyota have been known to test units for "excessive consumption" but I cant remember what the figures for this are, if they deem it to be excessive, they'll help or replace your engine, but you can avoid all this and get a 190

all 1zz 3zz and 4zz engines are checked for consuption before replacement they must use more than 1 liter of oil over 1000 miles before there considered for replacement that is the allowed usuage

eh? there are people on the celica forums with gen 7 190's having problems with oil consumption?!

Infact here is the toyota service bulletin on it -

http://test.chrispho...co.uk/index.pdf

that builtin is for the 1zz 3zz and 4 zz engines not the 2zz ge engine as fitted to the celica 190

trust me ive worked at a very large toyota dealer working with toyota uk and eu for a long time now ;)

#11 Woosey

Woosey

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,660 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 17:40

that builtin is for the 1zz 3zz and 4 zz engines not the 2zz ge engine as fitted to the celica 190

trust me ive worked at a very large toyota dealer working with toyota uk and eu for a long time now ;)

I'm puzzled to why all the guys on the celica forum are having there engines replaced under warrenty then?

:whatever:

(The 140 has the 1zz engine )

Edited by Woosey, 06 Sep 2008 - 17:43.

RIP HB

#12 Chyownster

Chyownster

Broke :(

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 17:42

prob lift bolts breaking on the older engines, I had a T Sport and i loved it, lovley car looked awesome IMO too
Audi S3 8P 2007
Bose sound system (ewwww) starting to mod it!

#13 longboard

longboard

phoenix gold whore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 17:44

the 140 engine is the 3zz

#14 Woosey

Woosey

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,660 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2008 - 17:57

the 140 engine is the 3zz

no it isn't?! its the 1zzfed?

Edited by Woosey, 06 Sep 2008 - 18:01.

RIP HB

#15 turkey_welder

turkey_welder

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 09:52

all 1zz 3zz and 4zz engines are checked for consuption before replacement they must use more than 1 liter of oil over 1000 miles before there considered for replacement that is the allowed usuage

I knew someone would know the nitty gritty!

seriously though, they drive lovely, but why on earth you're not looking at a prelude for this money is confusing me! :whatever:

miles better performance, absolutely unstoppable reliability and if you can put up with the gen5 looks, you're onto a bargain (they look lovely IMO)

and a motegi one with the 2.2 vtec, :D:love:

#16 stiGGy

stiGGy

Iron Lung

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 10:00

My ex-gf has a 190. It was a chuffing mint car to drive, very quick indeed when you kane it - particularly into high speeds.

She's never had a problem with hers, only things she's spent on are servicing and tyres!

Toyota Celica GT-4

Car PC + System to come

#17 RobM

RobM

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 10:47

I looked into getting one, had a go of a 190 and a 140 - I'd go for the 190 of the two - it handles nicer and goes like stink when you want it to.

Eh? They handle exactly the same! Exactly!

Yes, it goes a fair whack faster when on full chat, but the handling is the same. That's the beauty of the 140, you get the looks, handling and enjoyment of the 190, without the extra expenses. Don't get me wrong, the 190 is more than worth the extra, but if you're struggling with insurance costs, the 140 is more than worthy.

As for this oil thing, it's one of those stupid things that did affect a small number, but gets blown out of all proportion, usually by people who know little about the cars but read something on the internet.

When was the last time joined an internet forum to say their car is fine, has no troubles and hasn't skipped a beat?

#18 longboard

longboard

phoenix gold whore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 13:00

As for this oil thing, it's one of those stupid things that did affect a small number, but gets blown out of all proportion, usually by people who know little about the cars but read something on the internet.

When was the last time joined an internet forum to say their car is fine, has no troubles and hasn't skipped a beat?

exactly unfortunatly thats a big problem with the internet and our current climate "i cant afford it so il take it back and then moan it wasnt very good anyway and demand my money back":shake:

anyway back on topic as a car i like em

oh and the 1 zz 3zz and 4 zz are basicly the same engine (block head etc just different bore/stroke to get cylinder capacity)
and if you ever feel the need heres the wiki link or pop round and il show you the difference on the few i have lying around

http://en.wikipedia....oyota_ZZ_engine

#19 Woosey

Woosey

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,660 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 14:40

exactly unfortunatly thats a big problem with the internet and our current climate "i cant afford it so il take it back and then moan it wasnt very good anyway and demand my money back":shake:

anyway back on topic as a car i like em

oh and the 1 zz 3zz and 4 zz are basicly the same engine (block head etc just different bore/stroke to get cylinder capacity)
and if you ever feel the need heres the wiki link or pop round and il show you the difference on the few i have lying around

http://en.wikipedia....oyota_ZZ_engine

so the celica does use the 1zz then :P

Got any 3s-gte from the WRC edition - would love to have one of those :D

RIP HB

#20 longboard

longboard

phoenix gold whore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2008 - 18:54

lol nah the last grp a engine i had was fitted to a yaris many years ago think it still does stage rallies in belgium somewhere

im more into the clasics now and repain all the source team cars that they keep breakin