Photo

Reversing Camera Wiring Setup - AutoElectrician or Something??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gaz_0001

gaz_0001

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 Jul 2008 - 23:11

I have a Double Din screen in my car. And i have just got a rear view reverse camera for it.

The way i was going to wire it up was as usual:

Earth to Earth
12v to Reverse Light
Video to Video IN on Head Unit.

This way when i bang it in reverse, the camera gets power, and AV1 switches on giving me my rear view.

I was wondering if there was another way of wiring it up.

What i would like it to do is:

Work as normal, ie bang it in reverse, ipod goes off, camera comes on.
But also, an option there for me to manually put it in AV1 and the camera will come on (without being in reverse)..... this would be useful for Hot Women, or potentials in the car behind me.

Not sure how to do it though, as its the power being applied to the camera, through the reverse light that signals the headunit to flip to AV1.

Cant get my head round a way to do this!?
Possibly connect to Ignition Live to keep camera powered all the time, but then it would not automatically flip to camera when put in reverse, and also the headunit would fire up with camera on instantly.

Other way bit of a ball ache:

Could use an OR gate circuit, with a small switch on the dash somewhere. Although, im not too clued up on logic gates.

Take a feed from the video cable to the camera and use a small transformer to convert the voltage from the cable to 12v, and power up the camera?? That way when switched into AV1 from the headunit it would power up the camera.

These are just some ideas ive been playing with but there must be an easy solution.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Gaz

#2 Sly Boogie :D

Sly Boogie :D

Applied 4 provisional :D

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 15 Jul 2008 - 23:34

Erm, just use a normal fused latching switch?

#3 robb15

robb15

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 Jul 2008 - 01:10

What he said ^^ just a switched 12V into the camera, when you want it on, flick the switch.

#4 FrankstonCarAud

FrankstonCarAud

Retired

• PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 Jul 2008 - 01:33

Does the h/unit have its own reverse input wire?.. or does AV1 detect the presence of a video signal to cause the image to display?

If it uses the video sense method, then just add a switch to the reverse wire going to the camera, add a couple of diodes to prevent the reverse lights coming on when the new switch is on.. and that will activate the h/unit to display the reverse image at any time.. and still allow for normal "reverse" operation.
I would connect the new switch to an Ignition 12V+, so the camera can only be powered when the car is "on".. don't forget a fuse at the Ignition end..

HTH :)

Mark

Edited by FrankstonCarAud, 16 Jul 2008 - 01:41.
added diagram

#5 FrankstonCarAud

FrankstonCarAud

Retired

• PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 Jul 2008 - 01:40

What he said ^^ just a switched 12V into the camera, when you want it on, flick the switch.

You must isolate the 12V+ from the existing wiring, or the reverse lights will be on whenever the switch is on... see the diagram in my original reply above...

Mark

#6 gaz_0001

gaz_0001

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 Jul 2008 - 05:23

flippin diode!!! I knew id missed something.

I was thinking of just a switch, easy peasy, but couldnt work out a way of stopping the reverse light from coming on when the switch was closed circuit.

A diode was completely blank from my mind. I do this sometimes.

Thanks very much!