• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 XPK_06

XPK_06

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 23:45

Stuck some in the 2.0 TDCi S-Max today, and :wow: what a difference, the aceleration is alot smoother particularly in low revs and the MPG has improved alot.

Anyone had results like this? or know what makes some diesel engines respond more than others to it? I tried it in a 2.2 TDCi Mondeo and there was hardly any change, if any.
84 OLD SCHOOL FORD
CAPRI COSWORTH PROJECT - http://www.talkaudio...ad.php?t=297475

#2 TomG

TomG

sideways progress is for winners

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,324 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 00:23

I reckon thats a placebo as iirc, there's not really any major difference between the 2 and the 2.2 engines...
He's a very strange young man. He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too. Lorraine, you ever have a kid who acts that way, I'll disown you.

#3 Brind

Brind

iRregular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,472 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:21

I've got to put super stuff in my car (runs on higher octane) but won't ever use BP if I can help it! I had to use it the other day. 103p. :shake:
Magic pound mark, you watch the price rocket before your eyes now.

I can only agree it's a placebo in normal cars.

#4 XPK_06

XPK_06

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:54

Yeh my dad used to have to buy nothing but it for his Focus RS, he got the ST and was well chuffed to find u didunt need to put high octain in it, bett it wouldunt do any harm tho. Hes yet to try it. Thats petrol tho obviously.

Mind you my local garage that sells the Ultimate diesel, the difference I got in MPG it kinda broke even.

I mite be 100% wrong here, but I think I herd that the Ultimate Diesel isunt a higher octain, its ""Ultimate"" in a different respect to their Ultimate Petrol.

Sure I saw something on top gear.... I think. where they used two BMW 320D's exstally the same, and the one with Ultimate Fuel in had more top end and slightly better aceleration.
84 OLD SCHOOL FORD

#5 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:06

I put a tankful in the Trooper before the MoT and emissions were actually down from the previous year. I'm gonna stick a tankful in for the drive dow to France as we'll be heavily loaded with a roof box and trailer.
HeavyChevy

2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3 V6, '67 Chevrolet C10 Pickup 350ci V8,

You only need three tools in life - wd-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. If you can't fix it with either you've got an electrical problem.

#6 Baz W

Baz W

Perfectly flawed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:42

I used it over a few months and noticed no difference in performance or mileage. I am yet to try shell's version tho.

#7 chiark

chiark

Proven Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:05

To me, it's just expensive marketing that's all.

I tried super diesel from BP last year, and texaco this year. Guess what? No better performance, no difference in smoke...

HC, that's interesting as it's about the only way of telling if it does anything!

Now super unleaded on a turbo car is a different matter entirely, depending on how much the car is retarding the map on 95 due to the knock sensor input - my old scoob went a lot better on Optimax as the standard knock sensor couldn't hear knocking with SUL so didn't retard the ignition... however the aftermarket knocklink sensor told me the engine was detting occasionally!

Nick.
BMW F31 with Harman Kardon.  Can't see me changing much in it...

#8 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:32

It was noticeably less dieselly too, ran smoother. This is a mechanical injection non electronic 2.8L turbo diesel. I wouldn't use it every fill up but for the MoT and on a long loaded up run I think its worth a punt.
HeavyChevy

You only need three tools in life - wd-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. If you can't fix it with either you've got an electrical problem.

#9 chiark

chiark

Proven Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:53

Perhaps that's the difference - mine's high pressure common rail injection (I think). Although I'd have thought that a more sophisticated engine could make more use if there's more there, IYSWIM :D ?

Nick.
BMW F31 with Harman Kardon.  Can't see me changing much in it...

#10 XPK_06

XPK_06

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:04

Yeh H/C it made the S-Max sound smoother as well, I dont think its down to mechanical or electric, coz the TDCi is a bang up todate engine, and I swear it definitely made a difference.
84 OLD SCHOOL FORD

#11 mbaker8v

mbaker8v

38DD's FTW :-)

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:27

The ultimate Diesel has a higher cetane rating than normal, which wil lhelp combustion in a lot of cases... but like all of these things, it doesnt work in all cars. It works a treat in my Discovery though, similar results to H/C, but the ultiamte petrol does not make any difference to my Corrado over standard unleaded, whereas Optimax did make a difference... I think it all depends on how your car is set up, how the engine runs and what electonic trickery it uses....

Cetane number is the key measure of diesel fuel combustion quality. The number relates to the ignition delay - the period that occurs between the start of fuel injection and the start of combustion. Good quality combustion occurs with rapid ignition followed by smooth and complete fuel burn. The higher the cetane number, the shorter the ignition delay and the better the quality of combustion. Conversely, low cetane number fuels are slow to ignite and then burn too rapidly, leading to high rates of pressure rise.
If the cetane number of the fuel is too low, these poor combustion characteristics give rise to excessive engine noise, increased exhaust emissions and reduced vehicle performance while increasing engine stress. Excessive smoke - and indeed other, invisible emissions - and combustion noise are familiar problems associated with diesel vehicles, particularly under cold starting conditions.
BP Ultimate Diesel has the highest cetane number in the UK at a guaranteed 55 minimum and typically higher. Ordinary diesel sold in the UK has a cetane number of 51, according to European specification requirements. This big difference in cetane quality means that BP Ultimate Diesel actually burns better than ordinary diesel so you can expect your engine to deliver improved performance and better fuel economy, while producing fewer emissions.

Mmmm, mmm. Just call me moonflower from now on eh?

No problem dude, if you need any further assistance while on the job just let me know :)

#12 tej

tej

280bhp 440lbft of ///Diesel power

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,240 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:29

a few Paj owners have used it and said their motors run like dogs until they switch back to the normal stuff!

#13 Grant

Grant

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,638 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 18:23

Noticed no difference in my apart from it seemed a little quiter at tick over, but that was probably a placebo.

But at ~10p/ltr more than standard I won't be bothering with anymore.
XBL - mr grunt2

#14 chrig

chrig

Custom User Title

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,395 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 18:35

I remmeber my mate always using the shell stuff in his 1.9D Clio and he said it worked out cheaper per mile than the other stuff... cant imagine there is alot in it though.
Mongdeo Mk1 estate - Project 150

#15 BenW

BenW

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 19:12

Does the ultimate petrol stuff work in carbed cars or is this just for cars that can adjust mixtures in the ECU?

#16 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2007 - 08:29

You may be able to tune a carbed engine to take advantage of higher octane fuel, a lot will depend on the compression ratio though as to whether its possible to run it without detonation.
HeavyChevy

#17 mr_fernie

mr_fernie

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2007 - 11:10

is this not generally the case when you first fill your car up anyway? i've noticed that just after filling your car up with petrol its a bit more responsive and smoother :)

not sure what the reasons behind it are though.

#18 tej

tej

280bhp 440lbft of ///Diesel power

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,240 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2007 - 11:15

dunno why, i always felt the car was a little more responsive when the car was near empty... but we're probably talking 60kg+ of fuel(how much does fuel weigh?!), so that might not be so innaccurate :clown:

#19 BenW

BenW

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2007 - 13:16

is this not generally the case when you first fill your car up anyway? i've noticed that just after filling your car up with petrol its a bit more responsive and smoother :)

not sure what the reasons behind it are though.

I normally get that feeling too, guess its because the rubbish stuck on the bottom of the tank is more diluted when you put in some new fuel. Just a guess though