10 replies to this topic

#1 Danny V

Danny V

NSX lover!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 19:02

Hi
Just had a new power steering belt put on because the last one was slipping but now its like the belts got stuck and its hard to even turn the steering wheel. Any one know what has happened? And how could I fix it?
Thanks a lot
VT
Stevey Weavey!

#2 Pete.

Pete.

Old school member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 19:15

it sounds like its TOO tight! and unable to let the pulleys rotate properly. i have a mk3 golf too and i replaced all my belts on it a couple of months ago when i did the timing belt too.

you can undo a couple of bolts at the bottom very slightly where the alternator is and power steering pump is and there is a bolt that you can stick a spanner on and turn slightly that will pull the pulley away from or push it closer in allowing you to tighten or loosen the belts contact.

if that makes sense!? hard to explain though without the car in front of me though.

ill see if i have a pic handy though.

edit: here you can see where i drew in the red arrow. underneath the alternator mount is your power steering pump. you should be able to find a couple of largish bolts around 12-15 mm that you can loosen slightly and then theres a bolt attached to what looks like a small gear and pinion which if you turn with a spanner will let the belt slacken slighly . hope you understand what i mean!

Posted Image
Phoenix Gold

#3 Danny V

Danny V

NSX lover!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 19:32

Hi
Thanks alot pete great help.
My mechanic said that the tensioner is broken so he just made it tight some how. Ill try and make it a little less tighter.
Can you buy (prob from scrappy) and fit a new tensioner?
Thanks again mate
VT
Stevey Weavey!

#4 Pete.

Pete.

Old school member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 19:39

hmmm, the powersteering belt doesnt have a tensioner on my car anyway, just a pulley! im not sure on yours. what engine is it?

you may as well just buy brand new though to avoid any dodgy parts. i wouldnt think of going to a scrap yard for things like tensioners etc. best to just buy a new one from the likes of german swedish and french or euro carparts etc.
Phoenix Gold

#5 YF51CCU

YF51CCU

dubber to the end....

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 19:42

does the bloke you used regularly work on Vws?
as mk3s need vw power steering fluid if not the power steering will be knotchy and stick sometimes!
mark

#6 Danny V

Danny V

NSX lover!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 Apr 2007 - 20:35

Hi
Its a 1.8CL.
Yeh its got fluid in.
Ill prob just ring him and get him to come round.
Will update thread.
Thanks a lot.
Stevey Weavey!

#7 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 12 Apr 2007 - 16:07

Could be that the power steering pump has seized, the old belt may have worn to the point of slipping and the new belt being all grippy won't turn.
HeavyChevy

2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3 V6, '67 Chevrolet C10 Pickup 350ci V8,

You only need three tools in life - wd-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. If you can't fix it with either you've got an electrical problem.

#8 Danny V

Danny V

NSX lover!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2007 - 22:11

UPDATE
Hi
Gave it some revs today while turning the steering wheel and it just seemed to unlock the steering and the power steering is working perfectly now. Not a 100% sure why but really happy its working.
Thanks for the help guys
VT
Stevey Weavey!

#9 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• 1 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2007 - 16:13

I think i've got the same or similar issue. Since the floods my power steering is struggling, at a slow pace its almost impossible to turn and when it does it makes a hell of a racket (bit like a loose alt belt but deeper and more thud-dery).

Replaced the fluid not so long ago but maybe water's got in??

Any ideas??

#10 dravidham

dravidham

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2007 - 16:23

I think i've got the same or similar issue. Since the floods my power steering is struggling, at a slow pace its almost impossible to turn and when it does it makes a hell of a racket (bit like a loose alt belt but deeper and more thud-dery).

Replaced the fluid not so long ago but maybe water's got in??

Any ideas??

Power steering issues seem to be the flavour of the month. Min is playing up (slipping) on my GTI. I'm going to try tightening the belt on Friday.

#11 Danny V

Danny V

NSX lover!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 Aug 2007 - 16:45

I changed my belt as that was slipping and it has been better. If I slow down from 60 to a stop for a tight left hand turning the PS seems to stop working for a second around the tight corner then work again straight after. £150 for a new pump so im happy like that for the moment.
Stevey Weavey!