REL Q bass test inital impressions.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 micb

micb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,488 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 22:21

Hi I have been loaned a classic REL Q bass and just had a short play, I am surprised for what is at least a 10 year old subwoofer!

I fired up a few music tracks and a few films including The Phantom Menace.

My room has a large lift at 50hz and this subwoofer does not exite the peak much at all, solid extension is down to 30hz and then it starts to roll off there is some low 20's output but it is at a lower level.

For sound it is actually quite walm and suprisingly tight! I am sure from it's sound it is a Low Q design with a System QTC in the 0.5-0.65 area.

Obvously it limits can be found at higher listening levels but keep it in its linear range and I am plesently suprised with the results.

I can imagine if you wanted decent levels a pair or 3 would have put a sizeable grin on a fair few faces.
My saying: "A boom a day keeps the hearing away."

brain attack

lager, cures that problem, kills the brain, brain cant attack if its dead

- TEAM WALL IT!

#2 Rozzar

Rozzar

Home hifi nut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 22:37

they're ok for movies- movies aren't that demanding of finesse anyway but i'd look at their ST series (i.e. strata/storm etc) for music ;)

Jaguar XJR V8 on LPG, MG ZT-T 190 on LPG

#3 micb

micb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,488 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 22:44

they're ok for movies- movies aren't that demanding of finesse anyway but i'd look at their ST series (i.e. strata/storm etc) for music ;)

Yep Q series were made for movies and ST series for music :)

Considing my HC is 90% movies and 10% music it is not to much of a problem.

This is just a loan to see test to what one is like. It is out performing the Ruak Vita 100 and the IPL Acoustics SW2 but is about on par the the regular Ruark Log Rythm .

I am getting a SVS SB12+ on loan for a test as well they are pretty great, it will be much more high SPL for louder listening.

brain attack

- TEAM WALL IT!

#4 Rozzar

Rozzar

Home hifi nut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 22:53

yes...i've had a logrhythm. Mine was the mk1 (100w) version. The later (150w version) is allegedly quite a bit more capable.

A friend has a SVS tube sub - the PC Ultra i think its called- flat bass down to 16hz if your room allows it. I'm sticking to my REL Stadium!

Do also try the Mordaunt Short 309 and 909 subs if you can- i was particularly impressed with the 909

Avoid Yamahas. They are crap (imho), even the £800 YST-SW1500

#5 micb

micb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,488 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 23:08

yes...i've had a logrhythm. Mine was the mk1 (100w) version. The later (150w version) is allegedly quite a bit more capable.

A friend has a SVS tube sub - the PC Ultra i think its called- flat bass down to 16hz if your room allows it. I'm sticking to my REL Stadium!

Do also try the Mordaunt Short 309 and 909 subs if you can- i was particularly impressed with the 909

Avoid Yamahas. They are crap (imho), even the £800 YST-SW1500

I dead to think how many subs I have heard......

I do want to hear some Mordaunt Short although I think they are a fair bit below the SVS SB12+....

I have not been impressed with any Yamahas ever heard, the basic model was dire and the bigger 320 still not impressive, very boomy and not much bottom end.

The REL Q200E was not very good IMO alothough it was not me that set it up so.....

The Sunfire are not good value for money but the I have played with the Sunfire D-8 and like it, you had to wind it up a bit but it was nice.

The Sunfire Signature True EQ was a fair bit better but silly money.

I have breifly heard a BK Monolith it is very capable, this was tuned for very flat responce using a SMS-1 unit.

The last time I heard a SVS SB12+ was in a medium sized room (not mine) it was good but i'm sure there was more in it.

The SVS PB12+ was just silly loud and low, I bet the old Ultras and the PB12+2 are also outstanding units.

I love playing with subs!

brain attack

- TEAM WALL IT!

#6 Rozzar

Rozzar

Home hifi nut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2007 - 23:20

i do want to hear the BK Monolith. Was impressed with the XLS100 as well.

Basically, i am just unimpressed with the REL Q series...

Have heard the Velodyne SPL800- great sub- would like to hear the DD series

Most expensive sub i've heard was the REL Studio 2- the guy from whom i got the Stadium upgraded to the Studio and i've never heard bass like it.
Unfortunately, his missus really didn't like the sound of it and he shortly after had to sell it :(
Check out the new Mordaunt Short Performance sub thought it is expensive ;)
http://www.avland.co...rformance9w.htm