Photo

Does owning a CAT C or D car affect your insurance?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 14:21

I was told by someone that if a car was a CAT D (e.g. if the car had £1.6k's worth of damage (using new panels etc), but the car's only worth £1.8k.) then I'd have to declare that to the insurance, which could result in my premium going up by 30%.

I was wondering if that could be clarified.
Money will not make you happy, but at least you will be miserable in comfort.

There is no sin except stupidity

#2 VAGMAN

VAGMAN

turbo nutter!!

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 14:29

ive insured many. given the reg to the insurance firm, and theyve never mentioned anything.

dont think it effects anything. although it could be dependent on the insurance company?

#3 Fyanm8655

Fyanm8655

Astra 1.8sri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 14:39

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

If so do you even need to declare it?
EAT A BEAVER SAVE A TREE!!

#4 Andy4k6

Andy4k6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 14:52

My g/f's car is a CAT C we have no problems with insurance.

Only thing to remember is they are worth on average 25% less when you sell them.

Andy
Alpine.............DVI-9990R F1 Status
Alpine.............PXI-H990 F1 Status
Focal...............Beryllium No6
Genesis..........Dual Mono Extreme X3
Phoenix Gold..Tidd10
Hertz..............Mille 12" sub in sealed box
IASCA 2006 UK Rookie 1-1000 Champion
IASCA 2007 UK Street Amateur Champion.
IASCA 2007 Street Amateur European Champion.

#5 jet-black

jet-black

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 15:05

Ive got a cat c and ive never had to saying anything to the insurance company

#6 deja

deja

Old Skool Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 15:06

ive insured many. given the reg to the insurance firm, and theyve never mentioned anything.

Yep, I've owned one or two cars that were registered on the V-car as Cat C or Cat D.
(and probably one or two that I didn't know about as well!)

If you think about it, there must be thousands of people driving around in Cat C + D cars, that don't even know about it. It's not a legal requirement to check a cars status on the V-car when you buy it, so therefore you cannot be held responsible by an insurer for failing to advise them about something that you cannot reasonably be expected to know.
It is perfectly legal for a private seller to sell you a car and NOT disclose that the vehicle is on the V-Car, however Motor Traders must declare it to potential buyers.

The other problem, is that there are no cut and dry rules as to what category a car ends up in. It's all down to the individual insurance assesor.

For example:

You own a car worth £5000 but it sustains some minor cosmetic damage - like a few panels being keyed or dented.

You got to your local insurance-approved repair centre (a huge con, by the way) and they quote a cost £2000 for an insurance repair. This also includes the cost of a hire/courtesy car for you whilst it's being repared.

However, the insurer can sell the car off AS IT IS for £3500.

So your car gets 'written off' as a Cat D by your Insurance company, because they will save themselves £500 this way, even though your car is 100% drivable (and still legal) having suffered only cosmetic damage...

That £3500 car then probably gets repaired for a more realistic sum of £750, and is put back on the road, no different to how it was defore the cosmetic damage.
However, as a Cat D, it will never be worth the original ammount.

So....

1. There is no legal requirement for you to know if your car is registered on the V-car, and to therefore disclose that fact if it is.

2. Insurance Companies are Cvnts.

#7 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 16:04

Are you planning on doing the work yourself?

If so do you even need to declare it?

Nah, I'm going through the insurance company, as during that accident, the woman said she had neck pains the moment I left (despite being fine for 30 mins, and being asked on numerous occasions, so decided to go though the insuracne instead of going up shitcreek if she claimed against me.

Depa? That example? That's pretty much me! :lol: :(. But I'm currently thinking of buying it back (despite the loss in value), as I can't really find a similar car for the money the insurance will pay out.

#8 deja

deja

Old Skool Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 16:07

Who's fault was the accident? (Not trying to judge!)

#9 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 16:55

I'm afraid it's mine. And before the TA lynch mob get onto me, yes I'm the numpty etc etc....

Insurance guy said it has £1.8ks worth of damage. But although it's not a confirmed write off, when I rang him he said according to them it is (it's a 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec 3 Door with the Climate Pack in great condition, but it has around 130,000 miles on it

#10 deja

deja

Old Skool Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 17:23

I'm afraid it's mine. And before the TA lynch mob get onto me, yes I'm the numpty etc etc....

Insurance guy said it has £1.8ks worth of damage. But although it's not a confirmed write off, when I rang him he said according to them it is (it's a 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec 3 Door with the Climate Pack in great condition, but it has around 130,000 miles on it

Shame. If it wasn't your fault, you can demand from the other party's insurance that it be put back on the road.

Have the insurance co made you an offer yet?

If you want it back on the road, take it to a few places yourself and get some quotes - get a quote under whatever the Insurance company have valued your car at, and they will probably pay out.
Make sure you get payment (in your name) from your insurance company first - Then take the cash and go and haggle with the repair place you want it done at. With any luck you'll end up with a few quid spare.

#11 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 24 Dec 2006 - 18:13

Shame. If it wasn't your fault, you can demand from the other party's insurance that it be put back on the road.

Have the insurance co made you an offer yet?

If you want it back on the road, take it to a few places yourself and get some quotes - get a quote under whatever the Insurance company have valued your car at, and they will probably pay out.
Make sure you get payment (in your name) from your insurance company first - Then take the cash and go and haggle with the repair place you want it done at. With any luck you'll end up with a few quid spare.

No offer has been made yet deja. I've been told that'll probably happen this week.

#12 bigfella2

bigfella2

• PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 11:37

I heard some insurance companies want the car to be condition checked before they would insure again. But i've insured previously accident damaged cars and had no problem. So may be rubbish!!!

#13 SCOOTERMAN

SCOOTERMAN

Woof!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 11:47

I heard some insurance companies want the car to be condition checked before they would insure again. But i've insured previously accident damaged cars and had no problem. So may be rubbish!!!

AFAIK an inspection is now a requirement (from the DVLA) when putting a Cat C or D back on the road.
2000 Alfa Romeo 146ti

[SCOOTERMAN]...could use some female company that doesn't have four fingers, a thumb, and a mouth drawn on with lipstick...

#14 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 12:34

AFAIK an inspection is now a requirement (from the DVLA) when putting a Cat C or D back on the road.

I thought the DVLA test was only to ensure that the car has not been rung etc. But if this is the case, any idea I can find out what is required for the test etc?

#15 SCOOTERMAN

SCOOTERMAN

Woof!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 12:38

I thought the DVLA test was only to ensure that the car has not been rung etc. But if this is the case, any idea I can find out what is required for the test etc?

That was my understanding of it too: check the numbers are OK and away you go...
2000 Alfa Romeo 146ti

[SCOOTERMAN]...could use some female company that doesn't have four fingers, a thumb, and a mouth drawn on with lipstick...

#16 Chas

Chas

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,247 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 12:49

That was my understanding of it too: check the numbers are OK and away you go...

In that case then, assuming my mate did do the HPi Check when he bought it, and that I've had it MOT'd etc, and all the numbers match up, I should be ok then.... :).

#17 bigfella2

bigfella2

• PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 Dec 2006 - 16:04

I dont mean that, i meant that the car has to be proffessionally inspected so the car can be reclassified as condition checked (as opposed to cat C/D) before it is put back on the road, basically to stop a car been repaired to an unsatisfactory standard been allowed back on the road. The thing with chassis numbers been checked before MOT is a completely different thing, thats to stop ringing/cloning, also cat D cars do not need the chassis number check.