Photo

How do you covertly follow someone without being rumbled?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 KittyTat

KittyTat

My Beautiful Assistant

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 11:50

On Monday evening I am going about some investigative work. (Sounds better than Stalking)

I will be following someone on behalf of a relative. The person I am following does not know my car and I will alter my appearance. Any advice on not being seen, but able to keep up with and watch? :wow:

#2 barcrawler

barcrawler

Oh you know you want me!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 11:52

Dress up like a tree.

Ford Focus ST
JVC SH909R
Genesis Profile 5
PHD MF's 2-Way Comps
Arc Audio 10" D4

www.FocusSToc.com

#3 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 11:53

Wear a hi-vis jacket and carry a tape measure.

#4 Jim

Jim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 11:56

dont do anything noticeable, e.g. dont tailgate them or do anything that might make you stand out. dont worry about dropping 1 or 2 cars back so long as you can still see them. keep a decent distance, and when they park up, unless you can park a fair distance away and still keep visual then drive past them as you normally would, and then turn around and come back and park further up the road or whatever. if you follow someone for long enough then youre gonna get spotted eventually. just depends how attentive the person is, i could tell if i was being followed by a car because im always checking what cars are around me
Jim

#5 HeavyChevy

HeavyChevy

alfatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,171 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 12:18

Keep your doors locked and be ready to drive off somewhere safe (like a police station!) in case they decide to "ask" you why you're following tem. TBH most people are liely to be pretty unaware of the cars behind them although in this day of road rage and muggings for keys I certainly keep more of an eye on who's behind me.
HeavyChevy

2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3 V6, '67 Chevrolet C10 Pickup 350ci V8,

You only need three tools in life - wd-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. If you can't fix it with either you've got an electrical problem.

#6 KittyTat

KittyTat

My Beautiful Assistant

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 12:54

Excellent advice, except for the tree, thats just bizarre! All I want to do is see where this person goes. It is every monday at around 6.

Private investigators tried to track her months ago but photographed the wrong person. Waste of time. Once I know where the person goes I can check it out again in a few weeks and get someone to knock on the door and see who their with. etc..

#7 craiggg

craiggg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 12:57

Can we know the story behind it please :D

#8 jexdirectedtech

jexdirectedtech

Im all out of wit today.

• 10,829 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 12:58

Best off getting a mate involved too and run a system called parallels. Have one car following and then have another either overtake or turn in from a side road, and effectively you leapfrog around behind the guy, sometimes even overtake and come back on yourself. Does require mobiles or radios to work properly.

Take the mick in the classifieds and thou shall have sharp objects thrown at your reproductive organs :)

#9 Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

the old cheekymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,627 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:08

Make sure you want to know the truth before you go through with following them

#10 bigfathairybika

bigfathairybika

I'm not big, fat or hairy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:25

Oh, also change clothing often!
Not cos you may smell... but so you look different.

Also note that if you are seen once and then seen again at someother point your cover is
basically lost, because the human mind can recognise and relate images of people without even directly observing them!
Yak-Da-Veh!

#11 Lionheart

Lionheart

Meep - Very Hugable

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:30

Interesting, never done anything like that in my life.

Got to tell us how it all goes?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Clicky

#12 Darren 35se

Darren 35se

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:36

Do you have a inconspicuos (SP?) car? Something standard, plain and that there are plenty of on the roads?

#13 JL_FREAK_W7`S

JL_FREAK_W7`S

Banned

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:39

why not just get in the boot, bahahaha

at least you wont be seen

#14 doctormong

doctormong

Homosexual

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:44

If he looks at you, QUICK shut your eyes, and put your hands over your face. You go invisible
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#15 KittyTat

KittyTat

My Beautiful Assistant

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 13:59

Story is this woman was married to my uncle for 11 years had 3 kids together then out of the blue she ended it. Its all settled in court, but since she ended it she has been going to this place every monday.

Anyway just recently she has been messing him about with access to the kids and demanding more and more financially and when she doesn't get it the kids can't see their dad. Its out of order and she is a b*t*h.

When she found out from someone she was being followed by investigators months ago she got really tetchey, implying there is something to hide. Whatever I can find out can be potentially used as a blackmailing tool. Especially if its a married man or another woman.

She can't hurt my uncle anymore than she already has, so this is just for fun!! ha ha ha!

#16 Mallett's Mallet

Mallett's Mallet

The bear is back!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 14:08

Dress up like a ninja.

Yeah, the only problem is shouting out "Jocasta!" when you're on the vinegar strokes.

XBL:Timmy Malett

#17 paul mx3

paul mx3

Banned

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 14:15

seams a bit daft to be honest,if he has put private investigators on her in the past,SINCE there split and now he is asking people to follow her,wether she is sleeping with a man woman or even donkey for that matter its her business,and him intentionally persuing her will do him no good in gaining more access to his kids.

just my thoughts.... :)

#18 Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 14:21

I've done this before now. A fella owes me a fair chunk of money and never paid. I like to creep him out every so often and follow him around, just to remind him to keep looking over his shoulder.

You're best doing it during daylight. Nighttime is bad, as the brake lights will illuminate your face, theres no escaping it. During the day you can wear sunglasses and a hat, and the windscreen will reflect a lot of sky so it would be difficult for you to be 'made'.

Other than that, don't tailgate, don't drive too closely, don't indicate when following, and if you can, try and trace her route over more than one day, and in different cars.

#19 Lisa

Lisa

Loves Clarks shoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 14:22

why not just get in the boot, bahahaha

at least you wont be seen

but then she wont be to see either :P

#20 KittyTat

KittyTat

My Beautiful Assistant

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 Oct 2005 - 14:25

It's out of curiousity and a bit of fun more than anything else.